Unwanted Sounds occuring when switching workbooks

btodres

After installing PowerPivot I now get a ding sound when I switch between workbooks - even when Power Pivot not activated. I checked and the "Provide feedback with sound" in the options menu is NOT checked. Any help on this would be appreciated!

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Wow I have never heard this - literally! j/k

Please let me know if you figure out what the problem is, as I am very curious.

Upvote 0
Yes very strange. If I remove the Powerpivot addin the issue is resolved. It's a very annoying problem as I need to turn the sound way down on my computer.

Upvote 0
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/nb-NO/vsto/thread/3b044a99-d6e9-4914-a51e-a318ff0a0f45

Microsoft obviously does not use their own software. How could they miss this glaring, annoying bug?? And say its non priority to fix?? Unbelievable..

I would love to hear of a fix that does not consist of muting my system or shutting of the default beep sound system-wide..... i shut off all add-ins and it still happens. I doubt it is related to powerpivot, or there is no way to shut powerpivot off?

Upvote 0
I don't see how it's "glaring" given so few reports. also the only person who said "non-priority" in that thread was not a Microsoft employee, but a developer.

Upvote 0
It is quite glaring , (obtrusively and often painfully obvious), at least to me and anyone you ask in these threads:
http://www.google.com/search?&q=beep+switch+workbook

If you get creative with the search terms you will find a bunch more. I've read them all, and not one has a solution, including this one.

If it was a priority for them, I don't think it woul still be happening from Office 2007 up to 2010 and the 5+ updates they have for this software every single week

Upvote 0
It is very annoying...but I did figure out how to turn it off. Go to control panel, then sound, select the sounds tab, in the program events box select windows/default beep, then on the bottom of the window where it says "Sounds:" and provides a list box select none with in that box, and then it apply and ok. Your done.

I am still not sure why this sound(event) was only firing when toggling between excel workbooks as it did not do this for any other program including word, and I do not even have the powerpivot tool installed on this computer

Upvote 0
fyi.... I experienced a similar problem of the Windows "Default Beep" frequently sounding when I switched between different Excel worksheets from the taskbar in Windows 7. Traced it to the installation of a MySQL add-in, specifically "MySQL.ForExcel", which on my computer resided at this address: C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\MySQL For Excel 1.1.1\MySQL.ForExcel.vsto|vstolocal. In Excel Options, Add-Ins, I selected Manage "Com Add-Ins", clicked "Go", de-selected "MySQL.ForExcel", said "OK", and immediately the beep sound was gone.

Upvote 0
to mrconverghence ...you saved my life :)

had exactly the same problem for the last couple of weeks, my bleep was caused by installin add-Ins:
Microsoft Excel Code Compatibility Inspector

I followed your steps options --> add-ins --> manage COM Add-Ins and simply turn them off
no more annoying bleep sound :D

Upvote 0
I registered just to say Thank You! The beeping suddenly started a day ago, and was driving me crazy! I found that removing the COM Add-Ins as described above stopped the beeping successfully.

Strangely, the Add-In that I removed was pre-installed, to integrate Office with the manufacturer's proprietary cloud storage, so I don't understand why the beeping only started recently.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back