Pivot tables connected to Power BI losing connection

Jon von der Heyden

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I have another issue I cannot figure out. My colleague is building pivot tables in Excel by going Data > Get Data > From Power Platform > From Power BI.

The pivot tables effectively read from a shared Dataset.

Everything is fine initially, though an unknown trigger causes the Pivot Table to lose connection, and even stop working as a pivot table. I.e. when activating it, the Pivot Table ribbons don't activate. Right-click contextual menu on pivot shows the Pivot Table controls, but they are all greyed out. The grouping buttons in the Pivot remain visible, but do not do anything. The connection to the dataset is still visible in the connections pane; so it is still there.

I have attempted running Refresh, but it does nothing. I have checked trust center settings and the config relating to connections seems fine (set to prompt).

Any idea what is happening?

Thanks
Jon

P.S. worth mentioning that I do not witness this behaviour in any of my own reports. I have one single colleague that is impacted by this (AFAIK).

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
I noticed that my pivot tables stop working if the dataset owner changes the table name/column names. For example, I noticed they had a table called Forecast_Table. I went to refresh it and it successfully refreshed, but I didn't get the newly added months. I then realized they changed the table from Forecast_Table to Forecast Table and I had to change the logic in my DAX query.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back