PQ: Calculating largest items in a list

cr731

I am trying to use PQ to calculate the largest items in various columns in my table and looking for a more efficient solution. I have a table with a list of item numbers and associated brand, channel, and sales values, similar to below

Item
Brand
Channel
Sales
Item1
Brand1
Channel1
Item1
Brand1
Channel2
Item1
Brand2
Channel3
Item1
Brand3
Channel2
Item2
Brand5
Channel1
Item2
Brand2
Channel4

<tbody>
</tbody>

I'm looking for the largest "Brand" and "Channel" within each Item (based on sum of sales). So if I do this manually, I would create two additional pivot tables to summarize by Item-Brand and Item-Channel, like this

Item
Brand
Sum of Sales
Item1
Brand3
Item1
Brand1
Item1
Brand2
Item2
Brand2
Item2
Brand5
Grand Total

<tbody>
</tbody>

Item
Channel
Sum of Sales
Item1
Channel2
Item1
Channel3
Item1
Channel1
Item2
Channel4
Item2
Channel1
Grand Total

<tbody>
</tbody>

I would then create a table with just unique item numbers, and use Index-Match or Vlookup to return the top items in each list.

Item
Top Brand
Top Channel
Item1
Brand3
Channel2
Item2
Brand2
Channel4

<tbody>
</tbody>

Clearly, not very efficient and also I frequently need to add/remove columns (i.e. I might be looking for Brand/Channel today but next month need to add something else like customer or market).

I feel as if Power Query could help me here but I am struggling to find an efficient way. The best thought I have so far would be to load the table to PQ, then group by Item-Brand, sort descending by sales, and then remove duplicates. But this is still inefficient because I would need one query for every field I want to find the top item. It would be great to have it all in one query.

Hoping someone might know of a better way.

Thanks

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
OK, here are a couple of working solutions

Firstly using your data model design. I have built interim measures so you can see how it works (displayed on the left), however the correct Top Brand is returned on the right regarless if you have items in the pivot.

current_shape.png

This works, but you need a hard coded set of measures for each attribute you want to analyse (ie Brand, Channel).

I came up with this alternative approach
new_shape.png

What I did in this case was to duplicate the data using Power Query - there is one set of rows where Attribute Type = Channel and another set of rows where Attribute Type = Brand. The advantage of this approach is that I could write a single measure that reacts to a slicer as shown above. This is scalable. The downside is you have to multiply your rows of data x N for N attributes and you have to write the Power Queries to do it.

Here is the workbook https://www.dropbox.com/s/j3sz3r6nyy2czrq/rank brand.xlsx?dl=1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have had another approach.
Everything was done in PowerPivot.
Two measures:

SumBrand:=CALCULATE (SUM([Sales]);ALLEXCEPT(Table1;Table1[Brand];Table1[Item]))
SumChannel:=CALCULATE (SUM([Sales]);ALLEXCEPT(Table1;Table1[Channel];Table1[Item]))

and two Pivot Tables.

In both tables perform
By sorting Z ↓ A column TopBrand and TopChannel
and add
Value Filter Top 10 = 1

The columns I and J are hidden

Hier is the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/azkna7qujm4p61g/Calculating-largest-items-list.xlsx?dl=0

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back