Comparing Data in Two Worksheets

CynTV

Greetings,

I would like to be able to compare data between two worksheets and find any cells that contain data that doesn't match. For instance, if I have a row with Bill Johnson's address, phone, and email in one spreadsheet, but his phone number is missing or incorrect on the second spreadsheet, I would like to be able to figure out some way to see this. I thought that I could use a VLOOKUP; however, I need to compare every cell in each row and there could be quite a few columns, I am thinking it would require a nested VLOOKUP perhaps using range names to make it easier. This is a task that will need to be done rather frequently.

Any suggestions on the most efficient way to go about this is greatly appreciated. I don't really use VBA.

Best regards.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Do both table have the same column headers and order of column headers?

Thank you for your reply. Yes, they do. The tables will always be the same, it is just that the data in the cells may change.

I appreciate your help.

Best regards,

Upvote 0
This formula will give the column # for the value that does not match.

Excel 2010
ABCD
Sheet1

Excel 2010
ABCDEF
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F1{=IFERROR(MATCH(0,1*(OFFSET(INDIRECT("Sheet1!"&ADDRESS(MATCH(A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$3,0),1)),,,1,4)=OFFSET(A1,,,1,4)),0),"")}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Upvote 0
This formula will give the column # for the value that does not match.

Excel 2010
ABCD

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Excel 2010
ABCDEF

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet2

Array Formulas
CellFormula
F1{=IFERROR(MATCH(0,1*(OFFSET(INDIRECT("Sheet1!"&ADDRESS(MATCH(A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$A$3,0),1)),,,1,4)=OFFSET(A1,,,1,4)),0),"")}

<tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thank you for your help. My apologies for the delay in responding. I seem to be getting a circular reference error when I try using the formula provided. See the following screenshot. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong. Error Message - cynthia.lhv's library

Thanks again for taking time out to help me with this.

Best regards,

Cynthia

Upvote 0
OK, so the A1 in the formula, i.e. MATCH(A1... and OFFSET(A1..., that A1 needs to be the first cell in the table that you are comparing (the table for which you want to see the mismatches). The way it is designed is that the formula is in a cell to the right of the main table. That way, you can copy it down. Can you put the formula to the right of the table you want to compare and adjust the references?

Upvote 0
OK, so the A1 in the formula, i.e. MATCH(A1... and OFFSET(A1..., that A1 needs to be the first cell in the table that you are comparing (the table for which you want to see the mismatches). The way it is designed is that the formula is in a cell to the right of the main table. That way, you can copy it down. Can you put the formula to the right of the table you want to compare and adjust the references?

Thanks, again for your help.

I seem to be getting closer, but I am obviously still doing something wrong. I have attached a link to the workbook Compare Worksheets - cynthia.lhv's library. If you don't mind, please take a look. If you would let me know where I am going wrong, that would be great.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
No, problem, thanks for the note. The 4 in the second offset is the number of data columns in the table on the Compare worksheet. So, in this case, change it to 3. Then, use Control+Shift+Enter instead of just enter after making the change. Copy down.

If you get an error when trying to copy down "Cannot change part of an array", Copy the formula in D1 (just the formula and not the cell), and paste into E1. Delete cells D1:D3, and then paste the formula back, enter with Control + Shift + Enter, and copy down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your help with this. It works perfectly.

=IFERROR(MATCH(0,1*(OFFSET(INDIRECT("Sheet2!"&ADDRESS(MATCH(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$3,0),1)),,,1,3)=OFFSET(A1,,,1,3)),0),"")

I would like to make sure I understand why it works. If you do not have time, please let me know - I appreciate the time you have taken to help me already; however, I was hoping you would let me know what role the elements I have formatted in Bold play in the formula. Specifically, the "1*" and the ",,,". Also, if you have any recommendations for resources or techniques to help me with learning more complicated nested formulas like this one, that would be great.

Again thanks for your help!...and for your patience. This is great.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Slatter

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back