Comparing Data in Two Worksheets

CynTV

Greetings,

I would like to be able to compare data between two worksheets and find any cells that contain data that doesn't match. For instance, if I have a row with Bill Johnson's address, phone, and email in one spreadsheet, but his phone number is missing or incorrect on the second spreadsheet, I would like to be able to figure out some way to see this. I thought that I could use a VLOOKUP; however, I need to compare every cell in each row and there could be quite a few columns, I am thinking it would require a nested VLOOKUP perhaps using range names to make it easier. This is a task that will need to be done rather frequently.

Any suggestions on the most efficient way to go about this is greatly appreciated. I don't really use VBA.

Best regards.

The "=" sign between the 2 OFFSETS returns an array of {TRUE,TRUE,TRUE,FALSE}. True has a numerical value of 1 and false 0. When you multiply the array * 1, you get {1,1,1,0}, and then you MATCH 0 for the column number. Another way to write it is to remove the "1*" and "MATCH(FALSE," instead of "MATCH(0,".

Extract the two offsets, individually, and paste into 2 other cells preceded by "=", and click CSE. Then click into either of these two formulas, click F9, and then you should see the array that each offset creates in your formula bar.

CSE the following into another cell: =OFFSET(INDIRECT("Sheet2!"&ADDRESS(MATCH(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$3,0),1)),,,1,4)=OFFSET(A1,,,1,4).

Enter formula and hit F9 to see the relationship by column.

Resources, I have found, are best researched when problem specific. Google "Excel compare 2 ranges" and see what you get.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
The "=" sign between the 2 OFFSETS returns an array of {TRUE,TRUE,TRUE,FALSE}. True has a numerical value of 1 and false 0. When you multiply the array * 1, you get {1,1,1,0}, and then you MATCH 0 for the column number. Another way to write it is to remove the "1*" and "MATCH(FALSE," instead of "MATCH(0,".

Extract the two offsets, individually, and paste into 2 other cells preceded by "=", and click CSE. Then click into either of these two formulas, click F9, and then you should see the array that each offset creates in your formula bar.

CSE the following into another cell: =OFFSET(INDIRECT("Sheet2!"&ADDRESS(MATCH(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$3,0),1)),,,1,4)=OFFSET(A1,,,1,4).

Enter formula and hit F9 to see the relationship by column.

Resources, I have found, are best researched when problem specific. Google "Excel compare 2 ranges" and see what you get.

This is very helpful, thank you for taking the time to help me with this. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Slatter

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back