Excel2003 annoying ActiveX and trusted source pop-up

Tom Urtis

MrExcel MVP
Hi everyone,

Last week I installed MS Office Professional Edition 2003. Even though I already had Office 2002, I did a complete install (as opposed to the Upgrade option at installation) . My O/S is Windows XP.

Since then, when I open and save an Excel application that contains VBA or controls, as most of mine do, an annoying message box appears, with "Microsoft forms" in the title bar, the vbExclamation icon, and two buttons labeled OK and Cancel.

The text of the message is:
"This application is about to initialize ActiveX controls that might be unsafe. If you trust the source of this file, select OK and the controls will be initialized using your current workspace settings."

I have done numerous searches on Google and did everything anyone had been advised to do that was experiencing this same problem. I also went to this KB link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827742
and followed the directions by setting the UFI control to 1 for each of the 3 registry keys listed on that page. One of the 3 key paths was incorrect
(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Office\Common) in that on my system at least, there was no "Office\Common" path continuation, so I created one and still set the UFI to 1 there. No luck.

This is not because of spyware. I am positive my system does not have a virus.

Nothing I've tried has worked. I guess Office 2003 is still too new whereby there is not abundant information on how to fix this annoying pop-up for files that contain VBA or ActiveX controls.

Has anyone experienced this and successfully fixed it? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks for any info or tips.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
knowing which control is throwing the message

What is the easiest way to find out which control is causing this issue?

Thanks,

Chris

Upvote 0
Some activex errors are related to an uninstalled software. This is because operating systems prior to Microsoft Windows 2000 do not have systems that can prevent third party applications from replacing and removing critical dll files. So, if your activex error is related to a missing dll, try to reinstall the program. When you remove the Access, you remove the critical dll’s, as well.

Upvote 0
Some activex errors are related to an uninstalled software. This is because operating systems prior to Microsoft Windows 2000 do not have systems that can prevent third party applications from replacing and removing critical dll files. So, if your activex error is related to a missing dll, try to reinstall the program. When you remove the Access, you remove the critical dll’s, as well.

In addition to my above post, try reading this fix activex guide. It might help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hermansoa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back