How do I create a Pop-up Notification/Reminder in Excel?

excelnewbie999

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
  3. 2019
  4. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a bit of dilemma. I have a long list of cases that I am working on. I have to be reminded on which ones to chase everyday. I have used conditional formatting where certain cases are coloured which kind of helps, but as the list gets longer, it's difficult to keep up with the coloured cells, , especially when my vision is weak.

Therefore I feel the best way forward is to have Excel show a notification/reminder that pop-ups based on a date that I have entered. I know this requires a VB script, but not sure how to do this. I'd be very grateful if you could assist me. Please see the below example spreadsheet where cases 1,3,5 show a pop-up in Excel. Any questions, please ask away. Thank you.

Example of Reminder Spreadsheet.xlsx
B
5Case Number
Sheet1

Attachments

• excel screenshot.jpg
    excel screenshot.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 24
Ahh right, understood. Well that's reasonably easy enough, so I'm sure I can do that myself.

I know we mentioned conditional formatting to highlight case dates row for today's date. But how can I conditional format the spreadsheet, so that when it is today's date, rather than column E, it highlights the actual cases numbers in column B?

Thank you so much again.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Ahh right, understood. Well that's reasonably easy enough, so I'm sure I can do that myself.

I know we mentioned conditional formatting to highlight case dates row for today's date. But how can I conditional format the spreadsheet, so that when it is today's date, rather than column E, it highlights the actual cases numbers in column B?

Thank you so much again.
You can select say range B6: B100000 and apply the following Conditional Formatting formula
=$B$2=OFFSET($E6:$E100000,1,0)

Upvote 1
Thanks Jaafar.

For some reason that formula seems to be highlighting the wrong case numbers. It should be only highlighting today's (02/09/23) cases:-

1693685075016.png

Upvote 0
This seems to give the row number in the grid rather than the case number. Try changing the case numbers and opening the workbook again to demonstrate this.

When I tested this, I triggered the code from the Worksheet Activate Event so that I did not have to close and open the workbook when I wanted the list to refresh.

Attachments

• screen.JPG
    screen.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 1
Thanks guys. I tried Jaafar's new formula, changed the case numbers to something else and re-opened the workbook, but unfortunately I'm still getting the wrong cases being selected.

Conditional-formatting.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi everyone and thank you very much for your replies.

@Joe4 and @Herakles - The problem with filtering is that I need to see all my cases and if I start filtering each day, then that seems a bit of an inconvenience and there is a chance that I may need to work on other claims too. Therefore for me personally, I require a pop-up reminder so that as soon as I open the spreadsheet, the cases that need following up for that day pop-up and I can then deal with them as a priority. Hope that makes sense.

@RoryA - Thanks and yes, I have posted the same question on the other forum. My apologies as I didn't know that the two forums are run by the same moderators. Should I only post on one of them?
Note that the new Filter function is not the same as “Filters”. It is a dynamic function that can return all the records from your main list in another sheet. So you could have one sheet showing all your data and another showing just records with todays date. The big advantage is no VBA code or manual intervention is required.

Note that all the different Excel forums are NOT run by the same group. That is NOT the concern with Cross Posting. If you read the link in Rory’s post, it explains exactly what the concern is. As long as you do it properly, it shouldn’t be a problem. And note that most Excel forums have similar policies.

Upvote 1
Note that the new Filter function is not the same as “Filters”. It is a dynamic function that can return all the records from your main list in another sheet. So you could have one sheet showing all your data and another showing just records with todays date. The big advantage is no VBA code or manual intervention is required.

Note that all the different Excel forums are NOT run by the same group. That is NOT the concern with Cross Posting. If you read the link in Rory’s post, it explains exactly what the concern is. As long as you do it properly, it shouldn’t be a problem. And note that most Excel forums have similar policies.
Thanks Joe4. I'll certainly bear the filter function and the forum policies in mind. Once again thank you to you all :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back