How do I create a Pop-up Notification/Reminder in Excel?

excelnewbie999

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
  3. 2019
  4. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a bit of dilemma. I have a long list of cases that I am working on. I have to be reminded on which ones to chase everyday. I have used conditional formatting where certain cases are coloured which kind of helps, but as the list gets longer, it's difficult to keep up with the coloured cells, , especially when my vision is weak.

Therefore I feel the best way forward is to have Excel show a notification/reminder that pop-ups based on a date that I have entered. I know this requires a VB script, but not sure how to do this. I'd be very grateful if you could assist me. Please see the below example spreadsheet where cases 1,3,5 show a pop-up in Excel. Any questions, please ask away. Thank you.

Example of Reminder Spreadsheet.xlsx
B
5Case Number
Sheet1

Attachments

• excel screenshot.jpg
    excel screenshot.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 24
Hi again guys. I've got a bit of bad news - I have now applied your code to the real spreadsheet and it's giving me very odd results. I get a dialog popping stating "Following case numbers need chasing today !! -1, 0, 1, 2, 3"

I think it's because my columns/cell numbers are different on the real spreadsheet and I'm unable to tell which parts of the code I need to change. Unfortunately I'm really sorry, but due to data security issues, I can't the post the real spreadsheet on here. However, what I can tell you is the following:-

• The Today's date cell number B2 is still the same.
  • Instead of Case Number starting at B6, my spreadsheet's case numbers start at A4
  • Instead of Date of Reminder starting at E6, my spreadsheet's Date of Reminder column starts at N4
  • Instead of 'Sheet1', my spreadsheet tab is called 'Cases currently being Tracked'
Could you ever so kindly tell me which bits of the code I need to modify? If it's easier to add green comments to the coding, then that would be extremely appreciated.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi again guys. I've got a bit of bad news - I have now applied your code to the real spreadsheet and it's giving me very odd results. I get a dialog popping stating "Following case numbers need chasing today !! -1, 0, 1, 2, 3"

I think it's because my columns/cell numbers are different on the real spreadsheet and I'm unable to tell which parts of the code I need to change. Unfortunately I'm really sorry, but due to data security issues, I can't the post the real spreadsheet on here. However, what I can tell you is the following:-

• The Today's date cell number B2 is still the same.
  • Instead of Case Number starting at B6, my spreadsheet's case numbers start at A4
  • Instead of Date of Reminder starting at E6, my spreadsheet's Date of Reminder column starts at N4
  • Instead of 'Sheet1', my spreadsheet tab is called 'Cases currently being Tracked'
Could you ever so kindly tell me which bits of the code I need to modify? If it's easier to add green comments to the coding, then that would be extremely appreciated.

Place in the ThisWorkbook Module:
VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Dim sArray() As String
    With Sheets("Cases currently being Tracked")
        sArray = Filter(.Evaluate(Replace("TRANSPOSE(IF(N4:N#=B2,A4:A#))", "#", .Range("N" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)), False, False)
    End With
    If UBound(sArray) > -1 Then MsgBox "Case # needing chasing today : " & Join(sArray, ", "), 64, "Reminder"
End Sub

Upvote 1
Place in the ThisWorkbook Module:
VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Dim sArray() As String
    With Sheets("Cases currently being Tracked")
        sArray = Filter(.Evaluate(Replace("TRANSPOSE(IF(N4:N#=B2,A4:A#))", "#", .Range("N" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)), False, False)
    End With
    If UBound(sArray) > -1 Then MsgBox "Case # needing chasing today : " & Join(sArray, ", "), 64, "Reminder"
End Sub

Apologies for the late reply as I've had a lot of other things on my mind which took priority.

I want to sincerely thank you @Jaafar Tribak for the new code which works absolutely perfect!

Whereas the previous code was difficult for a novice like me to dissect and figure out what bits to change, this is extremely easy to change, so it's really appreciated.

Thank you again for your time and hard work :) ❤️

Upvote 0
Apologies for the late reply as I've had a lot of other things on my mind which took priority.

I want to sincerely thank you @Jaafar Tribak for the new code which works absolutely perfect!

Whereas the previous code was difficult for a novice like me to dissect and figure out what bits to change, this is extremely easy to change, so it's really appreciated.

Thank you again for your time and hard work :) ❤️
You are most welcome.

The code was just an adpatation of Marc L code

Happy you got this solved.

Upvote 1
You are most welcome.

The code was just an adpatation of Marc L code

Happy you got this solved.
Yes I did notice that it was very similar to his code, but the difference is that I could easily recognise which bits of your code needed changing. Anyway, I've now got 3 versions, doing almost the same thing, so I'm happy to keep all 3.

Thanks so much again. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back