Move rows up/down in an ubound list box

dogdays

Office Version
  1. 2007
win 7 64bit, access 2007
Is there a simple way to move a row up/down in a list box?

tia Jack

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the example is for Excel not Access.

Jack

Upvote 0
maybe wrong, but surely the box needs to be sorted in the order you want, as the table in the background is unsorted. If there is a specific order for the list, maybe add a control to the ID and build your prefered order in ther and then display by that order, showig the list as you want it

Upvote 0
win 7 64bit, access 2007
Is there a simple way to move a row up/down in a list box?

tia Jack
I presume you don't mean a simple sort ascending or descending.
I'd say not really simple but it could be done. However, I've never done it beyond having a sort order field with increments in magnitudes of 10 or something like that so that I could insert a value in between others. If you want to move item 6 into position 4 (and not just swap), what I think you'd need is a sort column in the listbox and its row source, which would not have to be visible. To resort, open a form datasheet and lock all fields except the sort order. The user can manually resort the items by reassigning numbers and clicking a button to resort the list. You would have to check that no two items have the same sort order number before closing the form and requerying the listbox.
As I wrote this, the control tab order dialog sheet comes to mind. In that, you can drag a control name from one line to the next to alter the tab order. Perhaps this is an Add-in that is available or can be replicated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Micron, thanks for the reply. The tab order dialog sheet is what I wanted to replicate.
Have no idea where the source could be found.

Jack

Upvote 0
I was thinking it might be a listview control, but I confess I've never used one. You've got me intrigued, though. If I wasn't working outside all day every day building a deck (in the heat and humidity- poor me!:p) I would spend more time on it. In the meantime, I can think of two ways that don't provide the ability to drag like the dialogs do.

If you wanted to allow a user to select a listbox item to be moved, then another item to determine where to move it to, you could do that with a multi select list box if it also had a sort order field. In code, you'd limit the number of selections to 2 and swap the sort order values, then refresh the list box to display the new order. Only one value could be chosen for relocation at a time.

Another would be to have left and right listboxes. Left one populated. It has a sort order field and you double click the items to move them to the right box, which is linked to a temp table. When the ordering is complete, click a button and run a query to update the main table with the values in the temp table. You could use the listbox index values (which are 0 based). If the main table sort order is also 0 based, you won't have to add 1 to the index value before you do the update. If you prefer, you could have small buttons with left/right arrows to allow user to move an item either way (left/right or right/left if a correction is needed).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I implemented a simple way of doing. I have cmdMoveUp and cmdMoveDown, assume no headings and move one row at a time.
Also have a non visible listbox of same size and shape of the listbox the user sees.
Not elegant but does work.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Jack

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessbob

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back