1.1 Million Rows - A Discussion About Excel 12

MrExcel

Builders Club Member
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
There have been four instances where Microsoft has shown Office 12 to the public. Some high-level customers went out to Redmond in August. They showed it at the Professional Developers Conference in September. They showed it at the Publishers Summit in late September, and then again at the MVP Summit in late September. To get in, you had to sign an NDA saying that you wouldn't discuss what you saw. However, some facts about Office 12 have been made public on various Microsoft websites, so I feel pretty safe in talking about these items. (After I wrote this, I went back and noted the public source where someone from Microsoft talked about the feature to make sure I am not treading anywhere that I shouldn't).

1) This is the most substantial new release of Excel since '95 or '97. (Source: my opinion).

2) The grid is expanding to 2^20 rows and 10,000+ columns. The final column is column XFD. The final row is around 1.1 million. (Source: Dave Gainer Weblog)

3) Charting has been completely rewritten. There are not new chart types, but the look and feel of the charts is light-years ahead of the current charts. (Source: Julie Larsen-Green Video on Channel 9)

4) You can now natively create PDF files from all Office applications. (Source: Steve Sinofsky released us from NDA for this one fact and said we could tell about this)

5) Pivot Tables and conditional formatting have been made easier. Conditional Formatting is incredibly powerful now - you can easily create visual views of your data. (Source: Julie Larsen-Green Video). I *love* the Data Bar view as shown here in Dave Gainer's Blog

6) Keyboard-centric people will love that every single option available in the program will now be keyboard accessible. Not half, not most , but every single option. I love the keyboard, I love memorizing keyboard shortcuts for the common things (I even think, Alt-EIJ when I need to edit-fill-justify. It is hard for me not to say, "just Alt-EIJ that range"). And yes - there is a classic mode for people who know the old shortcuts. (Source: Jensen Harris blog)

7) Mouse-centric people will love that a new floating toolbar appears with the stuff usually in the right-click menu. It is the same sort of semi-transparent thing that Outlook 2003 shows when a new e-mail arrives. If you move the mouse towards the toolbar, it becomes solid, otherwise it fades away. I can see that this will be a huge timesaver - all of the good options just a few pixels from the current cell. (Julie Larsen Green Video)

8) They have completely re-thought menus and toolbars. Word 1.0 offered 20 commands. Excel 2003 has 350 commands. There is no way to effectively layer 350 commands on 9 menu options - people can not find what they are looking for. The new user interface is called "The Ribbon". It is context-sensitive like the current right-click menus. Instead of tiny toolbar icons, it has big buttons and words. The most powerful things are very evident in The Ribbon. For a lot of people blogging about the release, they all seem to have heartburn that there is not a "classic" view that will bring back the old menu system. I initially thought this was insane. However, after seeing it first-hand for a couple of days, I really think that this is a vast improvement. I think this is a small hurdle, it will annoy me for 2 days, but once I get past it, then I have the full power of 1.1 million rows and more power to analyze data with Excel. (Source: Jensen Harris blog)

9) In the MVP Excel breakout session, they showed some other features that have not been shown elsewhere. There are some gems in here, just in case #2, #3, #4, and #5 weren't enough. As soon as Dave Gainer talks about them, I will bring them up.

My take... a lot of people are still using Excel 97 or Excel 2000 and this is fine because Microsoft had not added much new stuff since Excel 97. It made it great as an author, because a screen shot from Excel 2003 looked almost like the screen shot from Excel 97 - you could write about seven years of Office releases with one book.

However, I think that this version has so much good stuff - it will be very very compelling for people to upgrade. I was talking with a casual Excel user last night, and just that day, he had been burned by the 65,536 row limit. Other people want more than 3 conditional formatting. It will be easier for regular people to find the powerful features that are currently buried.

The "gotcha" that I can see - upgrading needs to be an all-or-nothing thing for a company. If you have Excel 12 and have 350,000 rows of data and some of your co-workers are still on Excel 2000 - you won't be able to share that data.

Anyway - I've started this post for us to discuss the changes. If you hear of a new feature, feel free to post about it here.

Bill

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Just downloaded the Beta release. Very hard to navigate at first without menu bar. Looks more like a MacIntosh product. Might just take getting used to, we'll see. Will be interesting to see how code that manipulates toolbars work.

Looks like MS is going to kill the app if you don't have authentic version of office and of windows. At roughly $500 every two years - that's not going to happen. I think google is going to take so much marketshare by picking up the casual users, that Office is in trouble.

Upvote 0
Well, I downloaded beta2 at home and I have to say, I'm VERY unhappy with the ribbon. It seems great for noobies, but for Power Users it's a complete nightmare!

Toolbars don't exist anymore. You can't even tear-off either! This is 10 steps in the OPPOSITE direction for me. I plan to uninstall it (if I can) tonight when I get home.

:devilish:

Upvote 0
About code that manipulates toolbars ---

I opened a file with a custom menu item. It uses the standard table-based menu builder, and it placed it in some wacky, out-of-the-way location in the Ribbon. Also, the menu didn't work.

So, if you have built custom menus and toolbars, they will need to be revamped. From the blurb that I've seen, it's an excursion into XML but I have not yet seen any decent sample code.

I like the extra rows. Much better for large imports. I also don't mind the eye candy effects -- formatting tables on the fly -- but if existing functionality breaks when you upgrade, I don't see corporates moving to it any time soon.

Denis

Upvote 0
You can customize the Ribbon, but it's difficult. I'm looking at an example right now from Ken Puls who has successfully edited and added items to the Ribbon. It's tricky and in-depth; I hope they [MS] improve it.

Upvote 0
It still upsets me. I don't like having everything on top! I want the ability to CUSTOMIZE IT AT WILL like we've always been able to do. The "eye candy" doesn't outweight the serious flaws they have introduced with this design. I hope they make it more customizable.

Maybe I'm just turning into one of those old farts that can't accept change. :confused:

Upvote 0
Reading the comments reminds me of moving from Unix to MS:

"Windows, I don't need no stinkin' windows."

"Menus! Crap, I *know* what I want, why in God's name I want a freakin' menu?"

Upvote 0
i wonder how much they are going to charge for the new office, it looks pretty sweet, but probobly not in my budget unless my company offers it at a discount

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back