1.1 Million Rows - A Discussion About Excel 12

MrExcel

Builders Club Member
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
There have been four instances where Microsoft has shown Office 12 to the public. Some high-level customers went out to Redmond in August. They showed it at the Professional Developers Conference in September. They showed it at the Publishers Summit in late September, and then again at the MVP Summit in late September. To get in, you had to sign an NDA saying that you wouldn't discuss what you saw. However, some facts about Office 12 have been made public on various Microsoft websites, so I feel pretty safe in talking about these items. (After I wrote this, I went back and noted the public source where someone from Microsoft talked about the feature to make sure I am not treading anywhere that I shouldn't).

1) This is the most substantial new release of Excel since '95 or '97. (Source: my opinion).

2) The grid is expanding to 2^20 rows and 10,000+ columns. The final column is column XFD. The final row is around 1.1 million. (Source: Dave Gainer Weblog)

3) Charting has been completely rewritten. There are not new chart types, but the look and feel of the charts is light-years ahead of the current charts. (Source: Julie Larsen-Green Video on Channel 9)

4) You can now natively create PDF files from all Office applications. (Source: Steve Sinofsky released us from NDA for this one fact and said we could tell about this)

5) Pivot Tables and conditional formatting have been made easier. Conditional Formatting is incredibly powerful now - you can easily create visual views of your data. (Source: Julie Larsen-Green Video). I *love* the Data Bar view as shown here in Dave Gainer's Blog

6) Keyboard-centric people will love that every single option available in the program will now be keyboard accessible. Not half, not most , but every single option. I love the keyboard, I love memorizing keyboard shortcuts for the common things (I even think, Alt-EIJ when I need to edit-fill-justify. It is hard for me not to say, "just Alt-EIJ that range"). And yes - there is a classic mode for people who know the old shortcuts. (Source: Jensen Harris blog)

7) Mouse-centric people will love that a new floating toolbar appears with the stuff usually in the right-click menu. It is the same sort of semi-transparent thing that Outlook 2003 shows when a new e-mail arrives. If you move the mouse towards the toolbar, it becomes solid, otherwise it fades away. I can see that this will be a huge timesaver - all of the good options just a few pixels from the current cell. (Julie Larsen Green Video)

8) They have completely re-thought menus and toolbars. Word 1.0 offered 20 commands. Excel 2003 has 350 commands. There is no way to effectively layer 350 commands on 9 menu options - people can not find what they are looking for. The new user interface is called "The Ribbon". It is context-sensitive like the current right-click menus. Instead of tiny toolbar icons, it has big buttons and words. The most powerful things are very evident in The Ribbon. For a lot of people blogging about the release, they all seem to have heartburn that there is not a "classic" view that will bring back the old menu system. I initially thought this was insane. However, after seeing it first-hand for a couple of days, I really think that this is a vast improvement. I think this is a small hurdle, it will annoy me for 2 days, but once I get past it, then I have the full power of 1.1 million rows and more power to analyze data with Excel. (Source: Jensen Harris blog)

9) In the MVP Excel breakout session, they showed some other features that have not been shown elsewhere. There are some gems in here, just in case #2, #3, #4, and #5 weren't enough. As soon as Dave Gainer talks about them, I will bring them up.

My take... a lot of people are still using Excel 97 or Excel 2000 and this is fine because Microsoft had not added much new stuff since Excel 97. It made it great as an author, because a screen shot from Excel 2003 looked almost like the screen shot from Excel 97 - you could write about seven years of Office releases with one book.

However, I think that this version has so much good stuff - it will be very very compelling for people to upgrade. I was talking with a casual Excel user last night, and just that day, he had been burned by the 65,536 row limit. Other people want more than 3 conditional formatting. It will be easier for regular people to find the powerful features that are currently buried.

The "gotcha" that I can see - upgrading needs to be an all-or-nothing thing for a company. If you have Excel 12 and have 350,000 rows of data and some of your co-workers are still on Excel 2000 - you won't be able to share that data.

Anyway - I've started this post for us to discuss the changes. If you hear of a new feature, feel free to post about it here.

Bill

My concern is that MS is going to find a way to force you to upgrade to Vista to get the most of out Office 12.

At the office, I don't care, but I don't want Vista's spyware sitting on my home system, suddenly deciding that my (legitimate) copy of Office is bogus (as has happened to many users so far, according to Slashdot), and then shutting down my system. This means I won't be able to take work home with me. Also, to get 1.1 million rows, what kind of RAM are you going to need to get any reasonable response time? Five minute recalcs, anyone?

And at my office, we still have people using Excel 95, which means my 2003 macros don't work for some. As my firm is not exactly tech-friendly (our core system is a character-based AS-400, for crying out loud), we're not going to upgrade everyone automatically - the costs in RAM, processors, etc. would be prohibitive. So upgrading is just going to put more of a barrier between me and my users.

I certainly won't be first in the queue for this upgrade, regardless of how much I would like the extra power. I think it's going to cause me more problems than it will solve.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
scu77, I think this comes down to memory requirements.

The Excel worksheet at the moment contains 4^12 cells.
Excel 2007 has 4^17, that's 256 times bigger.

Entering a value into all cells of an Excel 2007 sheet is going to max out your RAM very quickly.

Polarbear, I'm not sure that MS will force you to upgrade to Vista and 2007 simultaneously -- unless you buy a new PC after the release date, when the earlier products have been withdrawn from sale.

I plan to have Office 2007 on one of my PC's so I can get used to it. None of my clients will be going to it any time soon, and I won't be pushing them to. I still haven't weaned them all off Access 97 yet -- :eek: -- they're scared of the database not working, regardless of the fact that I have updated their db's in about 20 minutes!!

When 2007 has some market share I'll use it out there. Until then, it's a curiosity and a learning project.

Also, I agree about Vista. I prefer to use 3rd party security apps (firewalls, antivirus, anti-spyware) and I understand that MS was making it hard for these guys to work with Vista, thus giving their own security products an unfair advantage. No thanks, not till I can use the software of my choice.

Denis

Upvote 0
I had read somewhere that Office 2007 would be "better with Vista". But, I put two machines side by side, one running the beta Office on Windows XP and one running on a beta Vista.

Other than differences in the File Open dialog, nothing else appears to have changed.

Upvote 0
Bill,

Have you any recommendations for minimum hardware specs and Vista? I've read that you can forget about the bells and whistles without decent graphics -- either a card, or the integrated graphics on the latest chipsets -- and minimum 1Gb RAM.

Is that your experience?

Denis

Upvote 0
What going to happen with pivot tables. How many rows are they going to be able to use?

Upvote 0
Peoplez, what happened? where is the big finale? seems like Excel2003 is the way to be...

Upvote 0
Just found one definite advantage of Excel 2007 -- working with huge files.

A client (with no access to a database) needed to do some analysis of a large dataset. After some wrangling we had a starting worksheet with 55K lines and 256 columns of data: 100MB of raw data :eek:

He then needed to crunch another dataset using this base data, and his PC just flat out refused to do it. We put it on my new PC, with plenty of RAM and Office 2007, and it did the job. Even though we didn't exceed the row and column limits of the old version, the improved memory handling of Excel 2007 made quite a difference.

I don't plan on doing anything like that again in the near future, but knowing that you can work with files in excess of 300MB is reassuring...

Denis

Upvote 0
That's what I thought too. :LOL:

And it was almost pure data -- all formulas removed except for the first row of each sheet.

Never again... but it shows what the new version can do, if pushed. (Core 2 Duo, 2Gb RAM, and converting about 16K formulas at a time to values was taking over a minute).

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HBryant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back