10 Buttons (Shapes) only first 9 work. #10 does not.

KarateKidClone

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a POS that is using 10 Shapes (Categories) as buttons. I have a Macro to call the Subcategories. It works for 9 of the buttons, but not 10.

VBA Code:
Sub POS_LoadSubCategory()
With pos
    'Remove any existing product shapes
    For Each ProdShp In pos.Shapes
        If InStr(ProdShp.Name, "Subcategory") > 0 Then ProdShp.ShapeStyle = msoShapeStylePreset23
        If InStr(ProdShp.Name, "Product") > 0 Then ProdShp.Delete
    Next ProdShp
    SelCat = Right(Application.Caller, 1) 'Category Number
    For CatNumb = 1 To 10
        .Shapes("Category" & CatNumb).BackgroundStyle = msoBackgroundStylePreset3
    Next CatNumb
    .Shapes("Category" & SelCat).ShapeStyle = msoShapeStylePreset30
    PRODUCTS.Range("J3").Value = .Shapes("Category" & SelCat).TextFrame2.TextRange.Text
    For SubCatNumb = 1 To 12
        .Shapes("Subcategory" & SubCatNumb).TextFrame2.TextRange.Text = ADMIN.Cells(SubCatNumb + 4, SelCat + 3).Value
    Next SubCatNumb
End With
End Sub

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
1_Button in question50%.png

This is the 10th button in question.

2_Error when pressed50%.png

The error I get when I click the Button

3_break in vba50%.png

Break in the Code.

If Just run the macro I get the following error:
4_Error when running macro50%.png

5_break in vba50%.png

The tutorial that helped me write this code said that if using more than 9 categories, a different formula should be used, but never went into any more detail.

Upvote 0
When you assign your value to the SelCat variable, you are using this line of code...

SelCat = Right(Application.Caller, 1)

This line of code takes the last character in the cell which, for your your 10th button is 0, not 10... this is why it fails. I don't have time now to look at your code to find a workaround for you, but a quick fix would be to change your first nine button numbers from 1, 2, 3, etc. to 01, 02, 03, etc. and change the 1 in the above line of code to 2.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply, Rick. I'm very new to VBA so I appreciate any help.

I have made the suggested changes and it is still crashing in the same place in the VBA. With the change from 1 to 2, I can no longer press any of the 10 buttons. Gives me the same error for all buttons. changing back gives me previous functionality.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply, Rick. I'm very new to VBA so I appreciate any help.

I have made the suggested changes and it is still crashing in the same place in the VBA. With the change from 1 to 2, I can no longer press any of the 10 buttons. Gives me the same error for all buttons. changing back gives me previous functionality.
You have to carry the name changes through all your code. I'm guessing your button event procedures do not have 0's in front of their single digit numbers. Also, you have to look within your various code modules and make sure they are using the correct names or references.

Upvote 0
I replaced

SelCat = Right(Application.Caller, 1)

with

If Instr(Application.caller, "Category") > 0 then SelCat = Replace(Application.Caller,"Category","") Else SelCat = Replace(Application.Caller,"CatIcon","")

Which should allow for unlimited category buttons

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlckr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back