100% Stacked Column Chart Not Proportional

jgeddes

I'm using Excel for Mac, and creating 100% stacked column charts. The data is fairly simple, and most are working out fine. I have a chart for each management team, with the charts showing the number of their team members who've completed required training or not. For example, if there are 8 team members, 7 completed training and 1 has not, then the 100% stacked bar shows 87% completed and 13% have not.

The problem is, some charts are not displaying the series proportionally. To continue the above example, the chart shows about 33% (value=7) have completed and 66% (value=1) have not. It's displaying the correct values, but the corresponding areas are not correct.

The X Axis type is set to Text (the course names). I see no change if I switch Vertical Axis Crosses between Automatic, At Category Number, or At Maximum Category. I can't find how to change the Y Axis Scale. I have Chart Design and Format tabs on my ribbon (not a Layout tab), and on the Format tab, a select list with Chart Area, Horizontal (Category) Axis, Plot Area, etc., but not Y Axis.

Thank you for your help!

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
I don't have Excel on a Mac, but am commenting on the 100% column chart.
Check to make sure all of the numbers you are plotting are numbers and not text. (Copy a 0 value and paste special add on the data). This can be a problem if the data is pasted from another source, or if the data was entered on a "used" worksheet.
Make sure the number formats are all the same and that significant figure can be seen

Try creating the chart on a new worksheet if the problem remains.

You said "some" of the charts are not working well. Enter the data from a chart that is not displaying correctly on a chart that is and see if it is displaying correctly.
The positioning options on the Horizontal and Vertical Axis don't change the scale, but only the position of the axis.
The Y-axis scale is not changeable. It is always 0% to 100%

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back