Recognize text and count numbers

bullit_nl

Hello,

Can excel recognize if i used the same text on multiple sheets?

For example i have 6 sheets. On every sheet in row B there can be typed text. This text can change alot but will be used on all sheets in row B.

On all sheets i have numbers in row D. What i want is excel to recognicze for me all the same text in row B on all sheets and make a total from the numbers behind it from row D. I prefer to have this total on a seperate sheet.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
bullit_nl said:
Hello,

Can excel recognize if i used the same text on multiple sheets?

For example i have 6 sheets. On every sheet in row B there can be typed text. This text can change alot but will be used on all sheets in row B.

On all sheets i have numbers in row D. What i want is excel to recognicze for me all the same text in row B on all sheets and make a total from the numbers behind it from row D. I prefer to have this total on a seperate sheet.
Hi bullit_nl:

Please clarify what you mean by 'What i want is excel to recognicze for me all the same text in row B on all sheets and make a total from the numbers behind it from row D.'

Upvote 0
Ok I'll try to explain myself better.

In column B I type different text. This happens on all 6 or 7 sheets in column B. It happens alot that the same text is typed in column B in different sheets. In column E (so not D like i said before) i have a total sum of different columns together, also on all sheets.

What I want is excel to recognize for me all same text entry in column B on all sheets and sum the total of column E from all sheets for that text entry.

Sorry for the row thing in previous post.

Upvote 0
I think SUMIF would do this.
Look in Excel-help.

:eek: :eek:

Something like this:
Sumif.xls
ABCD
3Valueforsearch
4Matt1Will
5Will2
6Lisa1
7Matt222
8Will3
9Lisa4FormulainEnglish
10Will2
11Lisa1=SUMIF('Sheet1'!A4:A13,'Sheet1'!D4,'Sheet1'!B4:B13)+SUMIF('Sheet2'!A4:A13,'Sheet1'!D4,'Sheet2'!B4:B13)
12Matt2
13Will3
Sheet 1
Sumif.xls
ABCD
4Matt3
5Will4
6Lisa2
7Matt3
8Will4
9Lisa3
10Will2
11Lisa3
12Matt4
13Will2
Sheet 2

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Upvote 0
If you have the morefunc add-in installed...

On the Summary sheet:

SUMPRODUCT(--(THREED(Sheet1:Sheet6!$B$2:$B$100)=$B2),THREED(Sheet1:Sheet6!$E$2:$E$100))

where B2 houses a text condition/criterion.

Without morefunc

Enter the sheet names in column A from A2 on, select the sheet names, go to the Name Box on the Formula Bar, type Sheets, and hit enter. And use for the conditional calculation that you need:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&Sheets&"'!B2:B100"),$B2,INDIRECT("'"&Sheets&"'!E2:E100")))

Upvote 0
Aladin Akyurek said:

On the Summary sheet:

SUMPRODUCT(--(THREED(Sheet1:Sheet6!$B$2:$B$100)=$B2),THREED(Sheet1:Sheet6!$E$2:$E$100))

Without morefunc

Enter the sheet names in column A from A2 on, select the sheet names, go to the Name Box on the Formula Bar, type Sheets, and hit enter. And use for the conditional calculation that you need:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&Sheets&"'!B2:B100"),$B2,INDIRECT("'"&Sheets&"'!E2:E100")))

Hi Aladin,

I installed the Morefunc add-in.

Where do i put the formula:

I have a sheet named totals, there i tried to paste your formula there(didn't work). Do i have to use a = (sign)? Btw in my sheets the text and numbers in columns B and E start from row 10.

What u mean with: where B2 houses a text condition/criterion?

Last thing. Does it matter if i want to have each sheet a different name instead of Sheet1, Sheet2, etc?

Thanks

Upvote 0
bullit_nl said:
Aladin Akyurek said:

On the Summary sheet:

Without morefunc

Hi Aladin,

I installed the Morefunc add-in.

Where do i put the formula:

I have a sheet named totals, there i tried to paste your formula there(didn't work). Do i have to use a = (sign)? Btw in my sheets the text and numbers in columns B and E start from row 10.

What u mean with: where B2 houses a text condition/criterion?

Last thing. Does it matter if i want to have each sheet a different name instead of Sheet1, Sheet2, etc?

Thanks

Insert 2 new sheets, name them First and Last, put all the relevant sheets between First and Last, and use, e.g., in C2 on the totals sheet:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(THREED(First:Last!$B$10:$B$100)=$B2),THREED(First:Last!$E$10:$E$100))

$B2 is a cell on your totals sheet. This cell houses the condition that must hold for the range in column B on all sheets in order to total the range in column E on all sheets.

Upvote 0
Pekkavee,

I dont have a Value for search column. I want to see on one sheet all the totals from sheet 1:sheet 7 entered in column D matching the text from column B. (hope this still sounds logical).

Upvote 0
Well, I gave you just an idea and an example.

If you write Will or Matt or some name in D4 you get total sum in D7. ( D4 cell works like $B2 in Aladins solution)

Never mind.
Use Aladins solution anyway.
It is more sophisticated, ease to write and easy to use with 7 sheeets of yours.

Regards
Pekka
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back