30,000 INDEX AND MATCH, will it slow down my worksheet?

shophoney

Hi I've created a inventory worksheet. I've tried to used power query/powerpivot as much as possible. But have no choice it would seem but to use INDEX and MATCH in 30,000 cells. Would that make the sheet really slow?

I need to link product, sales, receiving and transfers all together. But sometimes and item has not been sold but has been received and wont line up in the lsit. So INDEX seems best.

Thoughts?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I don't think that it would be a problem. Try to limit the ranges in the formula (not whole column references).

Try it and let us know!

Upvote 0
Just to clarify...
you want to put INDEX/MATCH in 30 000 cells?
or you want INDEX/MATCH to reference 30 000 cells?

if th3 1st option, does any of your data remain static (unchanged) after a certain stage or time, such that the formulas for those entries can be copied to values?

Upvote 0
Hi sorry, to be more clear.

I have 11 locations, with about 500 rows of possible data and 6 types of transactions.

So I'm INDEXing 11 locations x 500 lines for each transaction type. By 500 products.

So each group of index is a grid of 11 locations (columns), by 500 products(rows), and there will be 6 groups.

Thanks for helping

Upvote 0
Also to make each unique formula an array i need to hit CTRL, SHIFT,ENTER.

Is there a faster way to have it do all 30,000 cells? When i select all of them if makes all the formulas the same.

Here is an example of a formula:

=INDEX($CS$15:$DC$499,MATCH($B18&$C18&$D18,$CO18:$CO$499&$CP$15:$CP$499&$CQ$15:$CQ$499,0),MATCH(CV$10,$CS$10:$DC$10,0))

or

=INDEX($FC$15:$FM$499,MATCH($B16&$C16&$D16,$EY16:$EY$499&$EZ$15:$EZ$499&$FA$15:$FA$499,0),MATCH(FC$10,$FC$10:$FM$10,0))

Upvote 0
This will eliminate the need for the ARRAY formula, just enter regularly...
=INDEX($CS$15:$DC$499,MATCH($B18 & $C18 & $D18,index($CO18:$CO$499 & $CP$15:$CP$499 & $CQ$15:$CQ$499,0),0),MATCH(CV$10,$CS$10:$DC$10,0))

Can you show some sample data and what you expect?

Upvote 0
Hi. You dont think that 30,000 cell's with formulas will slow it down. I dont want to create all the formulas to find out its to slow. lol

I dont know how to send a screen image?

It should look up in my table how many units on hand, sold...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan the procrastinator

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back