A formula to calculate the third Wednesday of the month.

arniebun

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have loads of data with 01/01/2013 01/02/2014 and so on till present day. I need to calculate the third Wednesday of each month, can anyone please help. a formula would be ideal. please please help me, its a nightmare trying to do it manually.

Here is a generic formula to calculate the nth day of a given month in a given year...

=DATE(Yr,MM,1+7*Nth)-WEEKDAY(DATE(Yr,MM,8-DoW))

where Nth is the number you want 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc and where DoW stands for day of the week with Sunday starting with 1, Monday with 2 and so on. For example, if you want the 3rd Wednesday in the month for the date in cell A1 it would look like

=DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),1+7*3)-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),8-4))

Of course, you can complete the mathematical operations to "neaten up" the formula...

=DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),22)-WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),4))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I have loads of data with 01/01/2013 01/02/2014 and so on till present day. I need to calculate the third Wednesday of each month, can anyone please help. a formula would be ideal. please please help me, its a nightmare trying to do it manually.
Just in case anyone still needs a simple answer to this question, as an example I used Wednesday October 20th, 2021 in A1 and Wednesday November 17, 2021 in A2 (two sequential dates occurring on the third Wednesday) then selected both cells and dragged down to get the resulting list of dates. If you wanted the third Thursday of each month; you'd use Thursday October 21st, 2021 and Thursday November 18, 2021.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back