A simple game is driving me crazy... need help with a counting function.

650nmWolf

I have tried to simplify this in my small brain and try to present it to this forum in a manner which respected their time (and solicited a quick/ easy answer). But when I try to simplify, I lose the challenge. Basically I am confusing myself. Is there anyone who could take a look at this and tell me what to do? It is due Thur morning so hoping someone can bail me out.

The challenge: 18 holes of golf in a round. I have a game called "Greenie" that only happens on Par 3 holes (4 of those in a round). If someone wins "The Greenie," they get a point. If nobody wins the greenie, that point is carried over to the next Par 3. If someone wins they get all points not already won and the next Par 3 is back to 1 point. If nobody ever wins a greenie, no points are awarded.

I butchered my latest attempt. I was using a counting function that counted par 3's and then counted greenies and subtracted them, but you can see that it didnt work since it does not account for all carryovers and the last Par 3 didnt go back to 1.

Does this make sense and is it presented to you guys OK?

0ildhrN
Mr_Excel_Q.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
0ildhrN

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
I left off some relevant info. I would like the bright yellow cells to show a number that correlates to the number of "Greenies" on the line. So a green cell would read "Triple Greenie" if the yellow cell above it was the number 3. I know this is a tall task, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any info or explanation that you guys would like that would present my question more clearly. I am desperate right now. Thank.

Upvote 0
Re: A simple game is driving me crazy... begging for help with a counting function.

Honestly, at this point, I would take any info as helpful.:LOL:

If you guys told me that this is impossible with excel. I would be happy to know I can quit chasing it.

Or if you guys told me that this takes more effort than free advice allows... I would understand.

Or if you guys just said my explanation of my question sux, that would be something to work with.

Anyway, I am almost ready to accept my failure to meet my deadline... right now I am just throwing out one last prayer. Any thoughts at all???

Upvote 0
Re: A simple game is driving me crazy... begging for help with a counting function.

We're not really keen on doing homework....

One way to do what you want to do in the second post is a simple IF formula...

=IF(A1="Triple Greenie",3,IF(A1="Double Greenie",2,1))

or if you want it reversed, you could...

=IF(A1=1,"Greenie",IF(A1=2,"Double Greenie","Triple Greenie"))

As far as counting how many have been won prior to the current one, maybe try the COUNTIF function.

Upvote 0

jproffer,
I am just glad you replied. I was not trying to get you guys to do my work for me, but I can see how one might think that. I have spent an embarrassing amount of time on this and the entire spreadsheet is actually a monster of complicated COUNTIF's, conditional formatting, data validations, and many IF AND OR formulas. It has taken nearly a year to get this far. Now I found a bug in it and cant find a resolution so that is why I came here for help. It is too late for me now since this is due in the morning, but I will certainly come back and let you guys know when I find a resolution. Maybe I will have it ready for another tournament. Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the suggestion, but I think it is going to take a heavy duty formula or trick to get this working. The green cell is simple to derive from the yellow cell as you suggested. The yellow cell is what I am after and it needs to be smart enough to know how many Greenies are "on the table" based on previous holes. Hope to be back soon!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolasmith

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back