A single measure for different timelines

howdy123

Hey,

I've been trying to resolve this issue for long - and its resolution makes the difference between a smooth reporting and a tough one.

I created a bunch of measures and two chronologies. I'd like to calculate these measures for different timelines.

If I create two columns in PowerPivot : "if( and( date >= firstdate(...) ; "date <= lastdate(...) ; "Timeline1; Blank() )" [and the same for date2] and put them as column filters in a pivot table, I get the usual :

(one below the other)

I am unable to create a single column that takes either the value 'Time range 1' and 'Time range 2'... and even if I could, I guess I would have issues if the datas were mixed (eg. timeline 1 is June and timeline 2 is YtD June, June would appear either as timeline1 or timeline2, but not as both).

I guess this is a pretty standard issue but never managed to resolve it. Could you please me indicate the smoothest way to resolve this ?

Best.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Calculated columns do not respond to slicers. So that won't work. You effectively have 3 measures with 2 different selectable time periods - so 6 different measures. Have you considered using cube formulas? Click in your pivot, select analyse (I think), OLAP Tools, convert to formulas. You can then layout the measures any way you want to

Upvote 0
Hey Matt, thank you for your answer !

So there's no perfect solution for this. What you proposed is actually what I did so far, ie. putting Values in lines and creating measures for :
Cars built per factory Time1
Cars built per factory Time2
Cars / hours Time1
Cars / hours Time2
etc.

I tried using Cube formulas yesterday (thanks to your book), but performance was low (~3 sec to refresh ?!!). So I guess I won't sacrifice performance, and continue the old way.

Many thanks.

Upvote 0
Interesting that 6 cube formulas are materially slower than the pivot table. Another approach is you could creat the pivot table, and then use get pivotdata to put the answers in cells. Kind of like cube formulas but with a single pivot table query. I have never used nor liked get pivot data, but it might kill 2 birds here

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrissy_M

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back