Activating an unsaved workbook

Tazguy37

MrExcel MVP
I use a report generator application whose output is an Excel file. After the report is generated, the file isn't saved. How can I get a macro to refer to this file every time I use it? I'd like to use the macro I've created and saved in my personal macro workbook for this.

Also, the report generator (sadly) isn't configurable to use a certain filename, or even to save the file after it has been created, so I can't get to personal.xls from the Tools, Macro, Macros, Run command. I've tried variations on Activata and Window.

Anyone have any ideas? If you need more info, please ask. Thanks very much.

Personal.xls is in my XLSTART folder. If I could change it so that the created workbook is active, that might be a start, but it's minimized as soon as I see it open.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Tazguy37 said:
.. Also...unfortunately, the report generator is an exe file that I cannot alter at this point. (I wish!)
Wherein lies your problem. Do you know the developer? Could you put in a request, or ask to modify?

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. I am using software that exports data to an Excel window. This file is not saved on the hard disk. The people who wrote the software are not going to help me with this. I need my open workbook to access the information in that unsaved excel window. The unsaved window opens as Book1, Book2, etc, etc, etc depending on how many of these are open at the time. How do I get the data from the unsaved window into my workbook?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. I am using software that exports data to an Excel window. This file is not saved on the hard disk. The people who wrote the software are not going to help me with this. I need my open workbook to access the information in that unsaved excel window. The unsaved window opens as Book1, Book2, etc, etc, etc depending on how many of these are open at the time. How do I get the data from the unsaved window into my workbook?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Got it. Copies a range from the unsaved workbook to the clipboard and pastes it in the active workbook.

Windows("MyWorkbook.xlsm").Activate
Sheets("Whatever").Select
Range("A20").Select
Dim xlApp As Excel.Application
Set xlApp = GetObject("Book1").Application

xlApp.Sheets(1).Range("A1:P10").Copy
Windows("MyWorkbook.xlsm").Activate
ActiveSheet.Paste

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hardey6ix

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back