Active cell highlight missing

ebaro383

I am a very advanced Excel user so this is a new one for me.

When I open any spreadsheet (new or already populated) the black box that normally frames the active cell is missing (showing which cell you have selected). Likewise when I 'select all' the sheet does not become shaded.

In addition:

Can not fill series
Can not change cell format (specifically to show Currency or Accounting w/$ symbol)

And I am sure there is much more that I have not found yet. I have not seen a single thread on this topic anywhere on the internet.

Help!

I had a similar problem with that Excel didn't highlight the selected cell after a textbox on the sheet lost focus, and I had a macro to re-select the last cell selected before the textbox is activated. It was difficult to see which cell was selected, but I solved the problem by activating the neighbor worksheet, and then reselecting the current sheet. In this way, Excel again highlighted the selected cell with a thick green frame. See code example below:

Dim lastCellSelected as Range '(global declaration) (set when myTextBox get focus)

Private Sub myTextBox_LostFocus()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
lastCellSelected.Select
anotherSheet.Activate
thisSheet.Activate

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
I am a very advanced Excel user so this is a new one for me.

When I open any spreadsheet (new or already populated) the black box that normally frames the active cell is missing (showing which cell you have selected). Likewise when I 'select all' the sheet does not become shaded.

In addition:

Can not fill series
Can not change cell format (specifically to show Currency or Accounting w/$ symbol)

And I am sure there is much more that I have not found yet. I have not seen a single thread on this topic anywhere on the internet.

Help!
I realize this is a very old post, but it was the first returned result on a Google search for this problem, so... I found this solution on another website and (for me) it worked like a charm. No closing and reopening, no copying to clipboard to get the moving dashed border, no annoying Microsoft shills telling you to open in safe mode or whatever other nonsense they come up with to absolve Microsoft of having to fix their software... but I digress.

To clarify, this issue seems to crop up whenever a copy-paste operation runs upon an error, usually "We couldn't free up space on the clipboard. Another program might be using it right now."

It seems that applying the "Normal" style to a cell in the offending sheet will cause the cursor to reappear. It may be the application of any style, but "Normal" is the one mentioned in the solution I found.

Hope this works for everyone else!

Upvote 0
I probably found the reason and the solution. I encountered this problem and could not find any solution on the net.
I accidently found that one of the sheets that i protect with VBA has no unlocked cell.
So be sure that all sheets have at least one cell with property locked = false.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back