add a formula to cell using loop

gtd526

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
Looking to add a formula to a selected cell containing an Error.
I can't get the formula into the cell.
thanks

VBA Code:
Dim c As Range

Sheets("Main2").Select

For Each c In Range("C3:C200")

If c.Value = CVErr(xlErrNA) Then
          'enter formula
          c.Formula = "=INDEX('[The Whole Enchilada.xlsm]PotInvests'!$E$9:$E$30,MATCH(A:A,'[The Whole Enchilada.xlsm]PotInvests'!$A$9:$A$30,0))"
        End If

Next c

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
What are you actually trying to do ?
Match(A:A is trying use every value in Column A as a lookup value. The concept is problematic not to mention it needs Excel to be dynamic array capable which is not the case for Excel 2019.
In MS 365 it will return a full $1M values and as such would only work if you place the formula in row 1.

Note: befor trying to trouble shoot a formula in VBA make sure you have a working version directly in Excel first.

Upvote 0
What are you actually trying to do ?
Match(A:A is trying use every value in Column A as a lookup value. The concept is problematic not to mention it needs Excel to be dynamic array capable which is not the case for Excel 2019.
In MS 365 it will return a full $1M values and as such would only work if you place the formula in row 1.

Note: befor trying to trouble shoot a formula in VBA make sure you have a working version directly in Excel first.
I wanted to fill the cell (C3:C200) with results from other worksheets, using the Index,Match formula.
By showing the code, I wondered if there was a common error someone could see in the code.
I found a solution to insert a formula(s) into the entire range. If some cells were #N/A, I would enter another formula into the #N/A cells. I would repeat this 6 (worksheets) times until all were filled correctly. A:A would reference Col A regardless of the row number.

VBA Code:
   LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

Set myrange = Range("C3:C" & LastRow)
    myrange.Select

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'add formula to entire range, first
    myrange.Formula = "=INDEX(PotInvests!$E$9:$E$30,MATCH(Main2!A:A,PotInvests!$A$9:$A$30,0))"
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

'now select all #N/A cells to add new formula

myrange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas, xlErrors).Select
        Selection.Formula = "=INDEX('2x3x'!$E$9:$E$30,MATCH(Main2!A:A,'2x3x'!$A$9:$A$30,0))"

Selection.Formula = "=INDEX(Retirement!$E$9:$E$30,MATCH(Main2!A:A,Retirement!$A$9:$A$30,0))"

Selection.Formula = "=INDEX(Technology!$E$9:$E$30,MATCH(Main2!A:A,Technology!$A$9:$A$30,0))"

Selection.Formula = "=INDEX(Misc!$E$9:$E$30,MATCH(Main2!A:A,Misc!$A$9:$A$30,0))"

Selection.Formula = "=INDEX('Bad Times'!$E$9:$E$30,MATCH(Main2!A:A,'Bad Times'!$A$9:$A$30,0))"

Selection.Formula = "=INDEX(Bonds!$E$9:$E$30,MATCH(Main2!A:A,Bonds!$A$9:$A$30,0))"

Upvote 0
Not sure this is the best way to go about it but the below should work.
(you really shouldn't have different formulas in different rows in the same column)
Like I said previously you can't use A:A as the lookup value.
Assuming the formula is on the sheet Main2, you don't need to refer to it in the formula.

I have only done 1 of the 6 alternative lookups, I will leave it to you to do the others.
In the formula the "@" is just a place holder for the lookup row in column A and the replace uses the Selection row to swap out the "@".

Rich (BB code):
'add formula to entire range, first
    myrange.Formula = "=INDEX(PotInvests!$E$9:$E$30,MATCH($A2,PotInvests!$A$9:$A$30,0))"

'now select all #N/A cells to add new formula

Selection.Formula = Replace("=INDEX('2x3x'!$E$9:$E$30,MATCH($A@,'2x3x'!$A$9:$A$30,0))", "@", Selection.Row)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back