Adding days in set increments

techsan05

Hi all,

Sorry for the lengthy description. I am a newbie here and thought I would include as much info as possible:

I am attempting to put together a schedule (list of dates at this point), where each widget will need to be serviced on a set interval of days from a start date. Therefore I could see all the upcoming service dates for a given widget. The problem: some of the service dates returned will fall on a weekend (Saturday or Sunday). The task would need to be performed on or prior to the due date. When this occurs I would like for the formula to recognize this. Thus the service due dates in these cases would need to fall on the Friday preceding the service due date in the upcoming weekend.

Service interval (frequency in days) in A2
Start date in B2
In C2: =B2+$A$2

I get the next service date by adding the frequency (B2) to the start date (A2). Subsequent dates are added in D2, etc by adding the date in the preceding cell (C2) to the service interval anchored in $B$2.

I thought that incorporating the WORKDAY function might make this fairly simple. However, I found that it ONLY counts the work days. Using this would project a due date much further in the future by omitting the days of the weekend.

From here I attempted to incorporate IF statements and WEEKDAY to try and identify Saturday's and Sunday's.

Any help or feedback is appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Try
Code:
=IF(WEEKDAY(B2+A$2,2)>5,(B2+A$2+(5-WEEKDAY(B2+A$2,2))),B2+A$2)

Upvote 0
Sorry, I was not online before.

Weekday function with "2" means that week is starting from Monday as day 1 through to Sunday as Day 7. Hence the use of 5 in formula to say if the weekday number is over 5, then it is either a Saturday or a Sunday and then I deducted enough days to get the Friday immediately before.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back