Adding lots of numbers together...

rabbits

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm not sure the title does it justice, but I'm trying to find a way of working out the weights of around 300 different boxes. Each box has several versions of about 15 different items, each weighing somewhere from a few grams to over a kilo (so it might be 7 copies of item X weighing 3 grams etc etc). Each box contains different items and therefore has a different weight. Oh, and the items (i.e. weight) changes every week.

At the moment I'm adding it all together manually, but it's taking forever. Could there be a way of automating / speeding it up? Suggestions very welcome!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
It may helps a lot, if you could provide an image/screenshot, or mini sheet

Upvote 0
Book3
ABCDEFGHIJK
1Quantity Item 1Quantity Item 2Quantity Item 3Quantity Item 4Quantity Item 5Box Weight (kg)ItemWeight (grams)
2Store A355200.053Item 12
3Store B473687.248Item 26
4Store C6107438.428Item 33
5Store D0310653.6Item 41
6Store E110531.2Item 51200
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2:G6G2=((B2*K2)+(C2*K3)+(D2*K4)+(E2*K5)+(F2*K6))/1000

Upvote 0
Sorry, hope that helps (this is just my toy, so there would be maybe around 20 items total and 300ish stores

Upvote 0
That layout doesn't really work if you have a variable number of items across the page.
Is that really how the data arrives when you get it ?
Also will you have that look up table in columns J & K for all items ?

I suspect you will better off using Power Query.
You can use VLookup or Xlookup to do what you have in your sample data, but that method will struggle if you have a variable number of columns.

Upvote 0
That layout doesn't really work if you have a variable number of items across the page.
Is that really how the data arrives when you get it ?
Also will you have that look up table in columns J & K for all items ?

I suspect you will better off using Power Query.
You can use VLookup or Xlookup to do what you have in your sample data, but that method will struggle if you have a variable number of columns.
It's how I've laid it out, but happy to have suggestions of how to lay it out better.

I feared someone might mention power query - I don't suppose you have any suggestions for a good starting point? I've never really used it before

Upvote 0
Can you show us the data in the format that you first get it ?
I'm not sure how I'd do it to be honest - all the data comes from several different locations, I've just pulled it together using a mix of copy / paste and vlookups

Upvote 0
Ouch. That sounds very high maintenance.
In the format you are showing us is the Box Weight column going to keep moving ?
Also are they you're real column names, if not what are the real names.

Is your lookup table really on Sheet1 or is it on another sheet, if so what is its name ?

Upvote 0
I had another look at you example and your formulas are only correct for the first row.
You didn't fix the row in your lookup table so the price for each item moved down the table.

Here is an example that relies on you current Heading Naming convention (I suspect you have oversimplified the headings)

20220906 Calculate Total using Lookup possibly PQ rabbits.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJK
1Quantity Item 1Quantity Item 2Quantity Item 3Quantity Item 4Quantity Item 5Box Weight (kg)ItemWeight (grams)
2Store A355200.053Item 12
3Store B473689.665Item 26
4Store C6107433.697Item 33
5Store D0310656.054Item 41
6Store E110533.613Item 51200
Test
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2:G6G2=($B2*VLOOKUP(SUBSTITUTE(B$1,"Quantity ",""),$J$2:$K$6,2,FALSE) +$C2*VLOOKUP(SUBSTITUTE(C$1,"Quantity ",""),$J$2:$K$6,2,FALSE) +$D2*VLOOKUP(SUBSTITUTE(D$1,"Quantity ",""),$J$2:$K$6,2,FALSE) +$E2*VLOOKUP(SUBSTITUTE(E$1,"Quantity ",""),$J$2:$K$6,2,FALSE) +$F2*VLOOKUP(SUBSTITUTE(F$1,"Quantity ",""),$J$2:$K$6,2,FALSE))/1000

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back