Adding only academic months to a date

viktoriacarr

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I am brand new to this thread and am not the most experienced Excel user so maybe I am missing something simple and I would so appreciate anyone's help :)

I work in the school system with multilanguage learners and when these students come to the USA from another county, we receive federal funding to support them for 33 academic months. I know how to add months to a date so that's no problem but I was wondering if there was any way to add only academic months to a date.

For example, Student A's first day in a US school is 1/4/23 and we are able to claim them for 33 academic months. Is there is a way to add months to a date so I can track when their funding will end while NOT counting the months of June, August, and July to the total number of months?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me!! If you need any additional details please let me know

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Does January count as Month #1 or Month #0?
Do your academic years always start in January (can they start in any month other than June, July, or August)?

Upvote 0
Do your academic years always start in January (can they start in any month other than June, July, or August)?
I believe that typical academic years go from September to May.

Upvote 0
January would count as month 1 in the example's case.
Academic years can start at any time -- the timeline start once a student is enrolled which can happen during any month

Upvote 0
January would count as month 1 in the example's case.
Academic years can start at any time -- the timeline start once a student is enrolled which can happen during any month
So to clarify a bit more a student can enroll at any time during the year and we are able to claim them for 33 academic months following their enrollment date. So if a student enrolls in April, I'd want to start counting their academic months with April and May and then pick the count back up with September if that make sense

Ideally, I'd love to be able to calculate the date in which the student will have spent 33 academic months at a US school as soon as they enroll so I am able to keep track of how long until the funding is up

Upvote 0
awwohaw,

So it sounds similar in concept to the Workday and Networkdays functionality, where you just "skip" weekends and holidays.
It sounds like they want the same sort of thing, where regardless of where you begin from, just skip those 3 months in the calculations (just like you would skip weekends).

Upvote 0
awwohaw,

So it sounds similar in concept to the Workday and Networkdays functionality, where you just "skip" weekends and holidays.
It sounds like they want the same sort of thing, where regardless of where you begin from, just skip those 3 months in the calculations (just like you would skip weekends).
Yes! Exactly like that -- thank you for simplifying what I was saying to make it more clear :)

Upvote 0
Just asking to clarify, is it possible for a student to enroll in June, July, August and count September as month 1? Or only enroll within academic months?

Upvote 0
Just asking to clarify, is it possible for a student to enroll in June, July, August and count September as month 1? Or only enroll within academic months?
Theoretically, yes, they could enroll in June, July, or August and I would want to count September as their first academic month

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back