Adding only academic months to a date

viktoriacarr

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I am brand new to this thread and am not the most experienced Excel user so maybe I am missing something simple and I would so appreciate anyone's help :)

I work in the school system with multilanguage learners and when these students come to the USA from another county, we receive federal funding to support them for 33 academic months. I know how to add months to a date so that's no problem but I was wondering if there was any way to add only academic months to a date.

For example, Student A's first day in a US school is 1/4/23 and we are able to claim them for 33 academic months. Is there is a way to add months to a date so I can track when their funding will end while NOT counting the months of June, August, and July to the total number of months?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me!! If you need any additional details please let me know

I thought you said that the formula I posted in post#10 worked, but that you needed a formula that works in 2019?
Yes sorry they both work! and I appreciate you helping me with Excel 2019 as well since I need to be able to do it in both 365 and 2019!! I'll mark yours as the solution since you gave that answer to me first :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
The two formulae give different results for some dates, so which is actually correct?
Fluff.xlsm
ABC
201/04/202301/01/202701/12/2026
311/12/202311/09/202711/05/2027
430/06/202328/02/202728/02/2027
Data
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B4B2=LET(d,EDATE(A2,SEQUENCE(50)),CHOOSEROWS(FILTER(d,(MONTH(d)<6)+(MONTH(d)>8)),33))
C2:C4C2=LET(d,EDATE(A2,SEQUENCE(50,,0)),CHOOSEROWS(FILTER(d,(MONTH(d)<6)+(MONTH(d)>8)),33))

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback.
The formulas in B2 and C2 require a recent version of Excel.
I also included a version of Fluff' suggestion for earlier versions of Excel.
N.B. In post #4, you advised that the start month January would be month 1.

If you choose, you can create the Lambda version and use it anywhere in your workbook.
The file does not have to be macro enabled.
The formula in C2 is a Lambda version of the formula in B2. It prompts for the input; "StartD" short for Start Date and "Num_Months" short for Number of Months such as 33 or D1.

With Name Manager, name the Function something appropriate; I named it A_TermEnd and in the Value area put the function information,

Dates Time.xlsm
ABCD
1StartEnd # of Months ►33
212-Jul-2312-Feb-2712-Feb-2712-Feb-27
4n
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2B2=LET(d,EDATE(A2,SEQUENCE(50,,0)),CHOOSEROWS(FILTER(d,(MONTH(d)<6)+(MONTH(d)>8)),D1))
C2C2=A_TermEnd(A2,33)
D2D2=AGGREGATE(15,6,EDATE(A2,(ROW($A$1:$A$50)-ROW($A$1)))/((MONTH(EDATE(A2,ROW($A$1:$A$50)-ROW($A$1)))<6)+(MONTH(EDATE(A2,ROW($A$1:$A$50)-ROW($A$1)))>8)),33)
Lambda Functions
NameFormula
A_TermEnd=LAMBDA(StartD,Num_Months,LET(d,EDATE(StartD,SEQUENCE(50,,0)),CHOOSEROWS(FILTER(d,(MONTH(d)<6)+(MONTH(d)>8)),Num_Months)))

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back