Advanced Filtering

seguin85

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I have a sheet with names and other personal information from columns B-M.

I have dates for each day from rows N-JA.

What I want is to be able to set up a filter that will show if a non-blank value shows up in a certain date range.

Example: for June 15-August 1 I want to filter if any row within that date range.
So if employee 1 is scheduled to work on any of those days he/she will be shown.

but I would start formatting your table into a proper table. I deal with clients where they put their data into formats like this and it only ever creates extra work. It isnt even practical for a human to read in this manner. You should have a header and take advantage of simple filtering... the table format causes unnecessary complications.

I dont know what advanced filtering is but if you create a true/false helper column like described then you just have that return true or false if row is blank and you filter by that.

Can't the date be my header? You think I should set up my data like:
Name#DateType
John15/12/17M
John15/13/17S
John15/14/17M
John15/17/17M

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Thanks, I used the helper column (great idea and very easy to implement). I added a macro and attached it to a button to I don't have to scroll all the way to the right of the page to filter by the helper column.

You are welcome. Glad to help :)

M.

Upvote 0
Can't the date be my header? You think I should set up my data like:
Name#DateType
John15/12/17M
John15/13/17S
John15/14/17M
John15/17/17M

<tbody>
</tbody>

yeah i think this makes analyzing data so much easier. It is a standard in the database world. Database 101

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Introduction-to-tables-78ff21ea-2f76-4fb0-8af6-c318d1ee0ea7

A relational database like Access usually has several related tables. In a well-designed database, each table stores data about a particular subject, such as employees or products. A table has records (rows) and fields (columns).

Fields have different types of data, such as text, numbers, dates, and hyperlinks.

You are listing each date as a field!! :eek: A field should be a data type not the data itself. You should have a field for the date.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back