Advice on setting up simple database

sarahbravo

Hi there, thanks in advance for reading this.

I have inherited a spreadsheet showing daily turnover that records the data and totals and displays it all in one sheet. It's a nightmare to try and make useful just because there are so many figures - 365 days with 8 departments, each comparing against the previous years daily total, providing increase/decrease information and weekly and monthly totals. It also is doing my head in trying to change it from 2015 vs 2014 to 2016 vs 2015. Should I try and keep three years data, should I show growth for all years? There is so much in there it is really unwieldy to use and not easy to read!!

Soooo, I thought I'd be clever and split the recording and display functions. If I youtube I can probably (with much swearing and consumption of chocolate) figure out a few nested countifs and a simple dashboard to display useful information. My actual question is the best way to record the raw information, ie like this

Date Week No Month Year Main Bar Beverage Sports Bar Beverage Bottleshop Beverage Restaurant Food Café Food Function Food
1-Jan-2016 all these autocalcd $2468 $872 $659 $5879 $645 $168

or like this:

Date Week No Month Year Department Total
1-Jan-2016 autocalc'd Main Bar Beverage $2468
1-Jan-2016 Sports Bar Beverage $872
1-Jan-2016 Bottleshop Beverage $659 etc etc

Any and all advice greatly appreciated. And if anyone knows a good book about simple database design, as well as the excel stuff to make it happen, I would appreciate a recommendation.

Hope everyone is having a happy 2016.

Sarah

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lee_ray

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back