Alternative to Consolidate Function

Gpaul

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
I have used the Consolidate function to solve this problem but I didn't like the end result.

Anyone have any additional solutions to summarizing 39 Identical templates that are in separate workbooks into a separate master summary workbook?

There are 4 sections on each workbook (which represent a division) that look like the below format. I would like to find a way to get this summarized in a separate workbook in the same format. One note there may be additional workbooks in the future so the solution needs to be able to be updated to include the new templates.

Attachments

• 2022-02-15_14-35-21.png
    2022-02-15_14-35-21.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 18

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Power BI could accept a folder of different books and combine them. You'd have to set it up to export in a way you can place in a new book manually to avoid having to buy a license.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response, I have a PowerBI license but the issue I am running into is the format has to be exactly as I posted which seems to be an issue. Also, I need a workbook that updates dynamically as the workbooks are periodically updated through the month. I have for the time being just linked to each of the workbooks but long term would like to find a better solution that is not such a pain to manage.

Upvote 0
I don't know your abilities and I'm a googling hack so take what you will from this.
Combining files that aren't all the same requires more work with Transforming Files. I have to liberally use a created Index column with SelectRows and Table.Skip to 'line up' all the templates that are supposed to match. For example 'Code' is the row I want to make headers. Code is always in [Column5] and supposed to be on line 3, but extra rows were inserted that moves it to 5.
Power Query:
#"Header Row To Use" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Index", each ([Column5] = "Code"))[Index]{0},
#"Skip to Header Row" = Table.Skip(#"Added Index",#"Header Row To Use"),
[Index]{0} returns an integer so skip moves it down to adjust my headers.

Upvote 0
I don't know your abilities and I'm a googling hack so take what you will from this.
Combining files that aren't all the same requires more work with Transforming Files. I have to liberally use a created Index column with SelectRows and Table.Skip to 'line up' all the templates that are supposed to match. For example 'Code' is the row I want to make headers. Code is always in [Column5] and supposed to be on line 3, but extra rows were inserted that moves it to 5.
Power Query:
#"Header Row To Use" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Index", each ([Column5] = "Code"))[Index]{0},
#"Skip to Header Row" = Table.Skip(#"Added Index",#"Header Row To Use"),
[Index]{0} returns an integer so skip moves it down to adjust my headers.
I am not sure my BI skills are up to the task but I will give it a look. Thanks for taking the time to try and solve it for me!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back