Am I to old to start.

Wsaip49

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. MacOS
Anyone else in their 70's trying to understand VBA? I kinda started late guess.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Welcome to the Board!

The question should never be "Am I to old to start?"
It should be "Am I willing to learn?"

We have many retirees on this board. As matter as fact, some of the MVPs are retirees.

If you have any experience with any other computing languages, picking up VBA should not be too difficult. I am not saying it will be quick (it still will take time), but once you learn one or two, I think that shows that you have the aptitude to learn most of the different computer languages.

I don't think it is, to be honest! If you have fun doing so and fun learning it, then really why not?

While I am not 70+ myself, I have helped people in that age bracket with a few Excel related problems.
A few didn't seem to get into it and walked away, but there were certainly those who enjoyed trying to figure out the problems and stuck with it.
I guess it goes back to what Joe was saying, if you are willing to try and learn you just might find you get bitten by the bug.

Who's too old to start?
Only way to find out is to try it.
And, (as with all things), whether you think you can, or you think you can't... you're probably right.
If you're interested, I recommend trying it for a while. You'll likely be amazed at what you will be doin' with it.
(And with this site, it's not like you can't find answers to whatever questions that come up.) ?

Who's too old to start?
Only way to find out is to try it.
And, (as with all things), whether you think you can, or you think you can't... you're probably right.
If you're interested, I recommend trying it for a while. You'll likely be amazed at what you will be doin' with it.
(And with this site, it's not like you can't find answers to whatever questions that come up.) ?
Whoaa - blast from the past! How the heck are you D? Why not pop by the MVP lounge and give us the gossip?

Whoaa - blast from the past! How the heck are you D? Why not pop by the MVP lounge and give us the gossip?
Hey Jon, doin' great, man! Livin' the dream and it's good to be me!
How you guys been holdin' up?
I'll tell you now, if you're ever thinkin' about retiring, I can highly recommend it! ?
I'll have to check in once in a while and see who all's still around.

i have helped a number of over seventies with their first PC. i have found that if they have a reason (specific purpose) eg hobby, publish a book, whatever, then it is easy to be motivated to take on new understanding. older people who have a PC foisted upon them by grandkids so they can go on fb etc, often have no real interest and inevitably dont reach any appreciable level of competence.
So my response is: find a project that would really involve your interests (say a gardening application for vege planting and weather monitoring, or a bar tab for the local sporting club, a collection inventory) and you will soon learn excel because it has a relevant use in your day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DEWS2031

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back