Am I to old to start.

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Years ago, a co-worker of mine (Judy) told me that her father who was 71 decided to learn to code and became a good programmer. Didn't even know much about computers.

Wsaip49, you are NEVER too old to learn ! keeps you young :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else in their 70's trying to understand VBA? I kinda started late guess.

I'll admit to being over 70 but my problem is not with understanding VBA or programming in general its more trying to remember any of it - I do though, find it a very good way of keep the grey matter active. - Enjoy your new challenge.

Tommy flowers who designed and built colossus (2nd world War code breaking machine/computer) passed a basic pc course in his eighties.
Never late to do anything if you put your mind to it. It's only easy when you know how to do it.

Last edited:
something we dont often think about is the oldies who have been keeping up with technology as it moves on. when i started programming there was a circuit board and a key pad and you had to punch in hex values worked out from an opcode scratch sheet. :)

Who's too old to start?
Only way to find out is to try it.
And, (as with all things), whether you think you can, or you think you can't... you're probably right.
If you're interested, I recommend trying it for a while. You'll likely be amazed at what you will be doin' with it.
(And with this site, it's not like you can't find answers to whatever questions that come up.) ?

I echo Jon's sentiments. Though, truth be told, I've been pretty scarce around here for a while myself. Great to see a post from you, HalfAce!

VBA Code:
    If MyAge > 256 Then
        Exit Sub
    Else
        'Start learning here
    End If

So.... am I the only one who read this and thought — wait a minute, this is Excel VBA we're talkin' 'bout here, which means MyAge should be declared as at least an Integer, and hopefully a Long and Wsaip49's age would be in the ballpark of 25,568 to 29,220?

But, maybe that's just me...

Edit - @ Wsaip - to answer your question - I think taken together, the comments here form a good reply. If you have a good project or application in mind, then age should not be a consideration. It's more about how much fun and interest you have. If you find it fun and interesting, have at it! If you studied programming way back in the sixties or seventies then you would have learned in a procedural programming environment. The language of VBA is a variant of BASIC and so your age would work to your advantage. The "new-fangled" part is getting your mind around object oriented, event-driven programming. If you are comfortable with OO programming, or can get comfortable with it, age is less of a factor then motivation.

Last edited:
Hi Greg, long time no talk

this is Ivan Moala, I loged in under another account as I couldn't reset my old account.
Good to see others here from my time :)

Hi Greg, long time no talk

this is Ivan Moala, I loged in under another account as I couldn't reset my old account.
Good to see others here from my time :)
HI IVAN!!! I was wondering if that might be you, but when the post count said "1" I figured "no way". Great to see you out and about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back