An Elegant Solution to Setting Evaluation Constraints

jase71ds

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
This isn't a question - just wanted to share a solution I came up with. Others have probably come up with the same solution, but I was pleased with myself for figuring it out on my own. Plus, it was fun!

If I want to constrain a formula output, say between +100% and -100%, one popular way to do it (there are many ways) is:
= IF( A1/B1 > 1, 1, IF( A1/B1<-1, -1, A1/B1 ))

This is not idea because you are potentially evaluating the formula three different times. And the odds are that your formula will be much messier than "A1/B1" so the computational overhead (and the formula ugliness) will grow.
You could use LET, and it would be better computationally, but still not as elegant (in my opinion).

So I considered MINs and MAXs and came up with this:
= MAX( MIN( A1/B1, 1 ), -1 )

In this example, A1/B1 is evaluated only once, and the output is constrained within the parameters of -100% and +100%.
It's rather elegant looking and far less computationally intensive for complex evaluations.

If I wanted to constrain within 0% and 100%, it would be:
= MAX( MIN( A1/B1, 1 ), 0 )

Or constrain within 500 and 10,000:
= MAX( MIN( A1/B1, 10000 ), 500 )

I remember it with this phrase: "Max Min, put your formula, Max Min"
That's always enough to jog my memory.

As I said, I'm sure others figured this out long ago, but it was fun for me to "discover" on my own.
Anyway, maybe this will be of use to someone.

Jase.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Another method for consideration (for your first scenario):

Excel Formula:
=MEDIAN(A1/B1,-1,1)

This will avoid the pitfalls of getting things out of order.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Ken

Upvote 0
Solution

Excel Formula:
=MEDIAN(A1/B1,-1,1)

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Ken
WOW!
Even more elegant!!
Why is this not used more? When I googled "Excel set constraints" I was just greeted with lots of IF or IFS functions.
Thanks so much!!!! I'm using this!

Jase.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I read an article by MrExcel comparing the MAX(MIN with the MEDIAN formulas, and a little surprisingly, the MAX(MIN is a tiny fraction of a second faster than the MEDIAN. Not enough to worry about unless you're doing a bar bet. I still like the MEDIAN better for the brevity and elegance. I can probably find that article in the archives if you're interested.

Upvote 0
Eric,
Regardless of a tiny calculation overhead, I'm with you - I'll be using MEDIAN for the brevity. Especially since I have some rather large formula that need all the brevity they can get!

Upvote 0

Excel Formula:
=MEDIAN(A1/B1,-1,1)

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Ken
It's been 2 months since this post, and I just want to say how many times I've used this method to constrain outcomes. So much more elegant than all the IF/THENs I would use, and so much more elegant than the MAX/MIN I "discovered".

If there are any downsides to using MEDIAN to constrain an evaluation's outcome, I've yet to stumble upon it.

Anyway, thanks again @KenU for such an elegant and useful outcome-constraining method!!

Jase.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back