Annoying Autocorrect in Excel 2007 VBA IDE

Roopher

Board Regular
Hello there!

Does someone know how to prevent that autocorrect "feature" in the Excel 2007 VBA IDE? It always deletes the last space I type after a second or so, i.e. moving the cursor to the left whenever I stop typing (to think for a moment or so). Grrr.

Thank you!

ps.
(The behaviour is VERY annoying, I guess this "feature" has sneaked into my Excel through these ever-dangerous Windows auto-updates...)

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Do you have any add-ins running? It's not a feature of the IDE itself. I've heard of the problem in earlier versions and it always seems to be related to an add-in.

Upvote 0
Dear rorya,

there is that bunch of Bloomberg Add-ins running in the background, but the annoying autocomplete feature is quite new, I think...

Regards,

Upvote 0
If you open Excel in Safe Mode, does the same thing still happen? If not, it's an issue with a startup file or add-in.
You might also try turning off the Background compile option if you have that on, and also the automatic syntax check.

Upvote 0
Thank's for your input. Didn't help, but I have closed/re-opened the Excel Application, and the problem seems gone. For now.

Whatever, is seems nothing that can be enabled/disabled. Rather it seems to be a bug of Excel. Well.

Best Regards,

Upvote 0
You weren't running any timer code were you?

Upvote 0
No, no timer set by in in the Excel.

In the meantime I have seen another thread dealing with this auto-correct 'feature', but with no remedy in sight.

Btw, in addition to the (often instantly) self-deleting last space I typed, the auto-correct also does undesired deletetion of zeroes, e.g. when I want to change '40000' into '60000', I usually to replace the '4' with a '6'. However, the Excel VBA IDE thinks is must overrule me by changing '0000' to a single '0' instantly when I delete the '4'. WTF?

In general, I am wondering whether some otherwise redundant Vista UI Strategist at MS had been transferred to the Excel VBA department. Dear Microsoft, please keep that user baby-sitting stuff to Vista, and end user GUIs. In IDEs, developers usually do know about the importance of coding discipline, and need to know whats getting on in their code. When they want to change anything in their piece of work, they want to do it explicitely and by themself. Thank you!

PS. I have submitted this last paragraph to MS via the online help. Maybe someone indeed reads it.

Upvote 0
I use Bloomberg and I don't have this problem, so I don't think it is attributal to that. Do you happen to use Gissing RealtimeXL?

Upvote 0
Just as a preliminary conclusion of mine on the issue of the overly active IDE auto-correct/-formatting of VBA code:

I am having several Bloomberg formulaes on the worksheet of my application (pulling-in real-time prices of assets). When I delete the worksheets with these formulaes, then the problem seems to disappear. Also, it seems that the more Bloomberg formulaes there are on the worksheets, the more severe the trouble with the stupido VBA IDE auto-correction gets.

Regards,

Upvote 0
Does toggling realtime updates off (click on the lightning icon button on the Bloomberg Tools toolbar) whilst you are coding fix the problem?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back