Any way to put a superscript footnote callout on a cell?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there any way that I can add a footnote callout to a cell? I tried both a Comment and a Note. They leave a marker, but not the actual contents. The only way I could find is to add them using a graphic editor, like this (D8 & K11):

1649610029231.png

I want them as reference numbers in the document discussing this data.

PS: This is a table I am working on to compare the risks of not getting vaccinated (against covid) to the risks of getting vaccinated. The numbers in columns D & G are my best guesstimates based on information I could find online. I don't think that are very accurate. The data is just for the US.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
You didn't say you wanted them to be hyperlinks, but if so, I'm clueless on how to do that with only a portion of the cell contents.
As long as there is a space before the footnote number you can format the number as red and bold superscript.

Upvote 0
You didn't say you wanted them to be hyperlinks, but if so, I'm clueless on how to do that with only a portion of the cell contents.
As long as there is a space before the footnote number you can format the number as red and bold superscript.
I do not need them to be hyperlinks.

The format code for the data in columns J & K is: #,##0":1 ". I guess I could use something similar for D8: #,##0" 1". But how do I get the "1" to be red and superscript? And I also have the problem that I don't want the format to apply to the rest of that column. It might be simpler to edit it in later.

Upvote 0
Yes, it is in the cell. As long as there is a space before the footnote number, highlight it in the formula bar, f'rinstance, and use the font formatting dialog (can easily invoke with ctrl+1).

Upvote 0
Yes, it is in the cell. As long as there is a space before the footnote number, highlight it in the formula bar, f'rinstance, and use the font formatting dialog (can easily invoke with ctrl+1).
Unless there is something I don't understand, it cannot be in the cell. The value in that cell is used in other calculations, so it has to be numeric. In this mini-sheet, D7 has a numeric value with the "1" added by a custom format (#,##0 "1"). I get the "1" and the value can be used in other calculations. But I don't see any way to make it a superscript or red. E7 nhas the "1" "in" the cell, but now the value is not numeric.

Book1
CDEF
5329,500,000US Population
72,983 10.298%335
82,983 1#VALUE!#VALUE!
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D7D7=983000/USPopulation*1000000
E7:E8E7=D7/1000000
F7:F8F7=1/E7
D8D8=TEXT(983000/USPopulation*1000000,"#,##0") & " 1"
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
USPopulation=Sheet1!$C$5D7:D8

Upvote 0
The value in that cell is used in other calculations, so it has to be numeric.
Well, that is the first time you mentioned that. The value in my cell is probably text so unless you can convert in your calculation formulae I guess I wasn't of much help. Sorry.

Upvote 0
Solution
Well, that is the first time you mentioned that. The value in my cell is probably text so unless you can convert in your calculation formulae I guess I wasn't of much help. Sorry.
It's hard to remember to include every detail about a case.

I'll mark this solved -- as in, it's not possible to do what I want. ??

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatieTrev

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back