Anybody out there Contracting... NOT JOB ADVERT...

Regarding being 'classified' as an Excel expert and only an Excel expert, I usually find a quick/informal chat to the IT Manager usually opens a door or two. Once they are confident in your abilities (or self confidence) then the barriers are usually removed. In so doing I almost always run things past the IT Manager to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes (and to make them feel like they are in charge).

Andrew

I agree that in a lot of smaller companies management are glad to utilise as many skills as you can offer.

But the bigger the company, the harder it is to get anywhere near the IT Manager. In fact I'm not even allowed to talk to the Server guys as they employ a 'Liason' to handle communication. True Story.

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
the company I work for is a joint venture between two big companies. Company A has an IT department that designs some reports for us, based on similar ones they have.

This makes good business sense, until you have a query and then have to go to the communication manager because you're not allowed to talk to the programmer himself. It's crazy. Everything takes 3 times as long to sort out.

This is all very true but of course if like me (or like me when I had a job :)) you're in Finance it's quite easy to get through to the Server guys and anyone else for that matter because to all intents and purposes you control either directly or indirectly the payroll, commissions, expenses button(s)... and that pretty much makes YOU the daddy of all daddy's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back