Application runs on some machines and not on others : form.show not executing : Trust center settings correct

dgardineer

I am having severe problems with Excel 2010 on user machines. I built an application that is used by many different users in my organization. This application has many ActiveX controls on multiple sheets. It also calls forms for user input to determine which pre-define sheet to use. These pre-defined sheets have a structure but the data in the cells is empty. I ask the user which sheet they want using a form and then copy the associated pre-defined sheet and present it to the user for them to fill out and I maintain a list on another sheet what the user has selected. Now for myself and many other users the application works fine. For some of the users I am running into various problems. On one machine, the workbook opens and the user is able to navigate to the default sheet but when they press the "Add" button that opens the form nothing happens.I did remote desktop to the laptop and ran the application myself in debug mode. When the "Add" button is pressed the event is executed to the form.show statement and the form does not open (No Error Message). I checked the trust center and ActiveX controls are enabled, Macros are enabled. On another machine, the user is able to fill out the workbook. They send the workbook to another user that has to add some data to it and that second user is unable to add the data. It will not save the changes they make. It appears that the first users Excel has somehow changed/corrupted the workbook. When the 2nd user sends me the workbook I am able to add / save / change the workbook with no problem. If i re-compile the VBA environment in the workbook it corrects the issue about 50% of the time. It appears that within the organization there are users with 32-bit Windows 7 and others with 64-bit Windows 7. There are users with 32-bit Office and others with 64-bit Office. So there are combinations of the 2. I have created a troubleshooting document that contains the ActiveX and macro settings, checking the drive, repairing office, setting the "GDIProcessHandleQuota" registry entry to try and fix these issues on individual machines. I have had only moderate success. Has anyone else experienced these issues and were you able to resolve them? Does anyone have any ideas on what else I should be looking at? I know this is not a trust center issue. I know this is not a problem with the users hard drive. It appears to be An Excel 2010 (32 vs 64) on Windows 7 (32 vs 64 ) issue. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
You *really* don't want to mix 32bit vs 64bit Excel... Even Microsoft warns users before they install the 64bit. There are many compatibility issues, and it looks like you may be running into some... I've had many clients switch from 64 to 32. They didnt' really need 64 in the first place.

It's also possible there are plain and simple bad installs. Run an Repair and see if it helps. (nevermind, I see you've thought of that)

For the user where the form won't show - does the user have multiple monitors or every been configured for such? Is the form maybe popping up BEHIND Excel? Create a dummy workbook on that computer with a simple form with code to Show the form. Does it work then?

You may have to redesign your system so that the workbook isn't shared, just the data. So the data is stored in an external file and loaded as needed..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back