Apply formula to conctenated cell

revocats10

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I combined values in two colums (A and B) with Concatenate (Column C). Now I want to apply a formula to the combined (Column C). I attached a screenshot of the values. I am not sure how to apply = so that Column C will peform the mathematical operation, as displayed in Column D as an example. Any ideas?Thanks very much.

Attachments

• Concat_Formula.JPG
    Concat_Formula.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
If it's as straight-forward as the integers from 1 to N being divided by 26, why go through the trouble of the concatenation?

If it's not that straight forward, how about this formula filled down?
Code:
=LEFT(C1,FIND("/",C1)-1)/(RIGHT(C1,LEN(C1)-FIND("/",C1)))

Upvote 0
If it's as straight-forward as the integers from 1 to N being divided by 26, why go through the trouble of the concatenation?

If it's not that straight forward, how about this formula filled down?
Code:
=LEFT(C1,FIND("/",C1)-1)/(RIGHT(C1,LEN(C1)-FIND("/",C1)))
Thanks for the info. I am working on a more involved spreadsheet and adding information. I need to be able do the concatenation as displayed.

Upvote 0
I am working on a more involved spreadsheet

Are your your requirements more complicated than detailed in post#1 ?
If s,o please provide a few more examples so that we understand the full extent of your requirements

many thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I am working on a more involved spreadsheet and adding information. I need to be able do the concatenation as displayed.
So, does my formula work or would you like a VBA solution?

Upvote 0
I get a #Value! error when using the method posted above. With regards using the concatenation. I am increasing and decreasing the number of rows in column A (based on the sample size number from another spreadsheet), and then calculating the percent for each row (Column D is an example how I do this in a formula for instance 1/16th, 1/17th, 18th, etc.). By having the concatenation method, I can do this much faster than having to create an updated formula for each row. I can't think of another method to use that is why I was looking to do it this way.

Upvote 0
Ok, I had to make some extra steps, but it works. I see you removed the *1, so once I did that and then also adjusted the column/saved as Values (rather then the Concat output), it works. Thanks very much for the help. this will save me a lot of time. I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back