Athlete Performance Database Help.

jordanwebb10

First I wanted to say how much of a resource this website and accompanying community has been for me! As an applied sport scientist and a strength and conditioning coach, I have been drawn time and time again back to this website for help with all of my excel needs. Recently I bought some books on excel, VBA and PowerPivot and am working my way through them. However I have come to a sticking point with one of my time sensitive projects.

I was hoping someone could help me with a problem. I am starting to design my data analysis and report program for my team next year and can't seem to get power pivot to analyze my data appropriately.

Essentially I am going to be constantly getting data over the course of the season on all kinds of metrics ranging from player load (via HR and GPS info), recovery metrics, questionnaires, resting heart rate values, blood work, in game performance statistics etc. What I need to be able to do is take all of that data in, analyze it and create reports that will invoke change within our organization. From my research I think I can easily do that within power-pivot.

For simplicity sake I have about 20 data tables set up in the following fashion With "Athlete Name" as the primary key across all of the tables.

Main
A1: Athlete Name Primary Key
B1: Position
C2: Roster Status

Performance
A1: Athlete Name Key
B2: Date
C3: Game Performance

Readiness Score
A1: Athlete Name Key
B2: Date
C2: Readiness Score

As you can see I will have multiple athletes with multiple entries on multiple days.

Where I am finding a problem is when I need to analyze a variable from one athlete on two separate tables with the same date. I cant seem to set the key's up appropriately.

For example.

If I wanted to create a graph that visualized "readiness score" and "Game Performance" for a particular athlete on a particular set of dates the pivot table keeps giving me incorrect data (namely it just repeats the the incorrectly keyed variable over the course of the selected date range)

I know there must be a way to sort this out. I would really like to use powerpivot over access because of the slicing feature and the ability to create visualize pleasing reports.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
You need to:

1. create a Date table
  2. relate it to your date fields in the other tables
  3. use the fields in your date table to slice your data

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back