auto highlight intersection of select columns and rows

palaeontology

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the following comparison matrix where up to 26 student submissions are to be compared against eachother, one at a time, for example, submission A was compared with B and B won, A was compared with C and C won, etc etc etc.

highlight certain row_column combinations.JPG

and I have the following dynamic list of letters that are not to be compared at all ...

3.JPG

What I would like is for the comparison matrix to fill (in black) any row or column associated with any letter found in that list. For example, in the list at the moment are the letters D E and H, so I would like the matrix to look like this ...

2.JPG

Is this possible ?

Kind regards,

Chris

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
oops, I meant the dynamic list (at the moment) should be just E and H (not D E and H)

Upvote 0
i'VE CREATED A LIST OF COLUMNS AND ROWS TO BE HIGHLIGHTED IF A CERTAIN LETTER APPEARS IN THE LIST .....

4.JPG

so for example, as the letters E and H are currently in the list, I would expect the following ranges to be filled with black shading ..

K6:K9
L10:AF10
N6:N12
O13:AF13

Is there a way to code it so that it reads the "Applications not to be considered " list and black-highlights the corresponding 2 ranges given (in the "To be shaded" lookup list above) for each letter in the "Applications not to be considered" list ?

Kind regards,

Chris

Upvote 0
ok, I've been unable to piece together a suitable vb code to do this, so have had to muscle the problem a different way.

I have now created a lookup table that lists (for each submission letter A to Z) all the cells that should be colour-filled if that letter is in the 'do not consider' table ...

5 (Small).JPG

currently, the program is saying submissions E and H should not be considered, so the next table shows the vlookup result of which cells should now be colour-filled ...

6.JPG

so, I've now tried to use that list of cells to be colour-filled (with black) in a conditional format using the following conditional formatting formula applied to the range $H$6:$AF$30...

=IF(COUNTIF($CH$6:$DF$31,ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN(),4),>0

but it's saying there's a problem with the formula.

Can anyone see how I should rewrite the formula ? To help you, I'll re-insert an image of what the matrix should look like once the appropriate cells have been colour-filled ....

2.JPG

Very kind regards,

Chris

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syzer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back