Auto Insert Date, Time and User Name of Last Modification

aamartin

Hello all,

I have a basic understanding of Excel and it's features and have modified very basic VBA code in the past. Okay, so I've built a work schedule encompassing a four week period with various employees and the workbook ("W1 - July 2015 Schedule") is shared amongst various supervisors. I've searched for a VBA code that will automatically insert the Date, Time and User Name of the excel user who last modified any part of the schedule in Cell "T56" in every sheet modified in this format "Revised: 06/30/2015 at 09:52 PM by John Doe" - John Doe being the registered Excel user not the computer user name. I'd like the results to be inserted into the specified cell so it can been seen by all users upon opening the file, rather than having to view the Print Preview. I've found similar code that appeared to do what I need, but haven't been able to make it work in my workbook.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Hello V_Malkoti
I was trying to use your formula (copy/paste, only replacing the T56 cell by B1) but I got the message: "Run-time error '2147417848 (80010108)': Method 'Range' of object'_Worksheet' failed "
As 'aamartin', I was trying to introduce in each B1 cell of each worksheet of a given workbook the last modification time and user...
As I'm new to VBA code, I can't sort it out... can you say what I'm doing wrong ? Thank you..

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Rtoscano, try this:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
[COLOR=#0000ff]    Application.EnableEvents = False[/COLOR]
    Sh.Range("B1") = "Revised: " & Format(Date, "mm/dd/yyyy") & " at " & Format(Time, "hh:mm AMPM") & " by " & Application.UserName
[COLOR=#0000ff]    Application.EnableEvents = True[/COLOR]
End Sub

Need to disable events because setting value in B1 will again trigger the event code, leading to an infinite recursion. After updating the cell, events are enabled again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back