Auto Scoring Matrix

nparsons75

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi, I need to create a score matrix to help grade people by score. So for example we have a number of disciplines which I will call machines. We also categorise these machines by difficulty to learn. The idea being, the more points you score, the more pay you will earn. How can this be recreated in excel to provide an automatic scoring.

Machines, we have...

Machine / DisciplineDifficulty Band
Machine 1A
Machine 2B
Machine 3B
Machine 4B
Machine 5A
Machine 6C
Machine 7B
Machine 8B

The scorecard matrix will be like this.

ABC

The scoring will work as follows.....

Person 1 = 1 x B = 2 (pay grade 2)
Person 2 = 1 x A & 1 x B = 3 (Pay grade 3)
Person 3 = 2 x C = 6 (Pay grade 6)

Note: The max number of machines they can use is 3 and the max skill is C. The lowest score or pay grade = 1 and the highest score / pay grade is 9.

I need to create this in excel where I have a table containing peoples names down the left, across the top I have the machine name. Something like the below...

ABBCC
Machine 1Machine 2Machine 3Machine 4Machine 5Score
Dave11
Peter115
Susan114

The table above is how I would like to score, I would like to populate the names and enter a 1 in each machine they can use, the score will be in the far right column.

Hopefully someone understands what I am trying to say.....

Thanks in advance....

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
If I understand correctly:

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKL
1ABCABBCC
2123Machine 1Machine 2Machine 3Machine 4Machine 5Score
3456Dave11
4789Peter115
5Susan114
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
L3:L5L3=SUM(INDEX($A$1:$C$4,MIN(COUNTIFS($G$1:$K$1,"A",G3:K3,1),3)+1,1),INDEX($A$1:$C$4,MIN(COUNTIFS($G$1:$K$1,"B",G3:K3,1),3)+1,2),INDEX($A$1:$C$4,MIN(COUNTIFS($G$1:$K$1,"C",G3:K3,1),3)+1,3))

I'd think there should be something easier, but it's late, maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Upvote 0
If I understand correctly:

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKL
1ABCABBCC
2123Machine 1Machine 2Machine 3Machine 4Machine 5Score
3456Dave11
4789Peter115
5Susan114
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
L3:L5L3=SUM(INDEX($A$1:$C$4,MIN(COUNTIFS($G$1:$K$1,"A",G3:K3,1),3)+1,1),INDEX($A$1:$C$4,MIN(COUNTIFS($G$1:$K$1,"B",G3:K3,1),3)+1,2),INDEX($A$1:$C$4,MIN(COUNTIFS($G$1:$K$1,"C",G3:K3,1),3)+1,3))

I'd think there should be something easier, but it's late, maybe I'll try again tomorrow.
Brilliant thank Eric. From what I can see it works perfectly.... Il run through fully tomorrow and set it up as needed to give it a full test. Thank you so much for your time

Upvote 0
Brilliant thank Eric. From what I can see it works perfectly.... Il run through fully tomorrow and set it up as needed to give it a full test. Thank you so much for your time
Hi Eric, can you please confirm what this part of the formula does, I seem to have an issue where if there are multiple selections of 'B' it does not score all of them...

"A",G3:K3,1),3)+1,1)

Upvote 0
Can you provide an example where the formula doesn't work, and an explanation of how it should be calculated? I was not sure that I got the algorithm right the first time. I got the answer you did, but I wasn't sure it made sense. Please check that the results of your first example are correct too.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back