AutoComplete from Other List

Pascal

Board Regular
Hi,

I've just tried this in Excel 2010 and I'm unable to get it to work.

AutoComplete Typing in an Excel Data Validation List Without Macros

What I'm trying to do is AutoComplete based on a list elsewhere within the Workbook, so if a user enters in the first 2, 3 characters it will suggest the match based on what is found in the list. The same as the AutoComplete if adding an entry in a new row on a column.

It appears it can be done, but I'm unable to get the example to work?

Thanks & Regards

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, my mistake, looking at it again, I hid the columns and not rows, hence got myself into a bit of a mess.

Now that I've hidden the Rows and tried it again it works fine.

However, is there a way to do it without having the list at the top of the Sheet and looking it up from elsewhere?

Thanks & Regards

Upvote 0
However, is there a way to do it without having the list at the top of the Sheet and looking it up from elsewhere?

No, because it relies on Excel's AutoComplete feature, which uses the same column to determine the possible entries.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks again for your reply.

I see.

In that case if I explain what I'm trying to achieve...

I'm wanting users to be able to enter a car registration number into a Cell. On a daily/weekly basis the registrations are repeated due to site traffic, it would make entering them a lot quicker if upon starting to enter the registration the Cell somehow suggests which registration they're entering.

Currently this is done on a single sheet, one per month, here obviosuly because the registration has previously been entered that month Excel, using the built-in AutoComplete feature does this for the user, suggests the registration based on the first 2/3 characters entered.

What I'm trying to do is have a single sheet, which would be cleared at the end of each day, the data entered for the day would be saved elsewhere before being cleared. Therefore the AutoComplete wouldn't work as it has nothing above it to base it on.

Can anyone think of a way to have a 'AutoComplete' on a clean sheet? Idealy without the use of a Combo/Drop Down Box?

Thanks & Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back