automate fill cells

imported_unknown

Hi..
I have 27 columns. In the cell M2, I add a vlookup formula. I have more than 28910 rows of data. How can I automate the column M so that it can run the vlookup formula automatically without doing drag and fill by one row by one row??? Anyone have idea about this? I am new user for excel and not familiar with macros...
Thank you...

Maya.....

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
a quick and dirty method i use....

You might try copying the cell by holding the 'end' key then involking the 'down arrow' this will get you to the last item in the column...this will copy the formular to all the cells along the way to the last cell in the column... delete the extra cells you don't need.

hope this helps

pll
This message was edited by plettieri on 2002-10-02 21:49

Upvote 0
Hi..
I tried your suggestion but the rows are too many..and my excel spreadsheet "hang"...I recevied a pop up message telling "Your program not responding.....". Is it possible to write a macro for automate for this drag and fill column M?(I am a new user and still exploring the tools and functions in Excel)

Thank you...

Maya.....

Upvote 0
You might try posting a short sample on the board to let us see what your data looks like and the expected outcome you desire...

This helps all who look at it.

We have a lot of experienced users here and a best solution will be found.

You can use the colo utility noted below.

pll

Upvote 0
hi..
I downloaded html maker..everything is fine until the "click to copy to clipboard"..but it doesnt copy to clipboard (i am using windows xp)...
i need to automate the auto fill for cell M with the formula
=VLOOKUP(L2,[saving_summary.xls]Commodity_code!B:C,2,0)
I can do it by drag and fill but the rows are too many more than 28000...

Thank you..

Maya...

Upvote 0
Hi - a few people are having problem with the 'paste to the clipboard' stage at the moment - Colo / Ivan are looking into it. As a work around, you should be able to paste into Word, then select all the code again, copy & paste to the board.

paddy

Upvote 0
You can autofill all the way down a column easily. Just hover the curser over the bottom left corner of cell M2 until it looks like a + sign...then double click, it will copy the Vlookup all the way down the column.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back