Automatic Cell Entry from One Column to Another

LabraLime

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello!
I have a list of 41 different document numbers that get entered into a larger set. I'm trying to see how I can create a formula that will automatically enter an "x" into a specific column if any of the 41 are triggered in a separate column. Any suggestions?

For example:
I have a list of document numbers that need to be checked with an "x" (for this ex: 123, 134, 333)-I want the "x" to automatically populate into a separate column so that the whole sheet can be easily filtered by that "x" column.

Doc #other unrelated dataNeed to be checked [x]
123​
aaax
122​
aaa
134​
aaax
333​
aaax

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Where is the list of document numbers that need to be checked against?
Doc ID

Upvote 0
Where is the list of document numbers that should be checked with an "X" (what range are the stored in)?
Where is the list that it is to be compared again (again, what exact range)?

Upvote 0
The list of Document Numbers are in the reply above, and the example is attached below.
Essentially I need an "x" to appear in Column B when one of the Document numbers from the list above are entered into Column H.
Right now, I'm having to periodically open the document and filter column H manually by each of the numbers individually and manually enter an "x" in Column B.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    41 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
The list of Document Numbers are in the reply above, and the example is attached below.
Well, that wouldn't do much good to your project, as your wokbook cannot look up this list in MrExcel! ;)

In order to do this, your workbook is going to need to have access to this list of values.
I am just asking you where is it going to be stored, so we know how to write the formula to look these values up and do what you want.
Is it going to be on another sheet?
Is it going to be in another workbook?
What sheet/range will these values be stored in?

Upvote 0
@LabraLime imagine anyone reading this board cannot see what you can see what you can. Is the level of detail you're giving enough to solve?

I can't understand where your data is or how your spreadsheet is built, however, one solution I would try is using MATCH, IF and ISNUMBER as a formula in the output column.

I searched online for "Excel match value against a list" and this was the first result:

Which is similar to how I'd construct 'a' solution to a problem like this.

Upvote 0
Well, that wouldn't do much good to your project, as your wokbook cannot look up this list in MrExcel! ;)

In order to do this, your workbook is going to need to have access to this list of values.
I am just asking you where is it going to be stored, so we know how to write the formula to look these values up and do what you want.
Is it going to be on another sheet?
Is it going to be in another workbook?
What sheet/range will these values be stored in?
I can store the list in the same workbook on another sheet, if that would be the best option.
Just trying to determine the best course of action to avoid manually searching and checking this list for all of my future projects :)

Upvote 0
OK. Here is one way.
Put your list of numbers anywhere, on another sheet, or the same sheet (it does not matter), and then name that list "MyList", using Named Ranges.

Then, we can simply check to see if any value appears in that list, and return an "X" if it does.
If you have a value in cell A4, here is the formula you would use:
Excel Formula:
=IF(COUNTIF(MyList,A4)>0,"X","")

Upvote 0
Solution
OK. Here is one way.
Put your list of numbers anywhere, on another sheet, or the same sheet (it does not matter), and then name that list "MyList", using Named Ranges.

Then, we can simply check to see if any value appears in that list, and return an "X" if it does.
If you have a value in cell A4, here is the formula you would use:
Excel Formula:
=IF(COUNTIF(MyList,A4)>0,"X","")
This works perfectly! Thank you so much for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back