Automatically display comment box

JKD

Please forgive me if this seems like a dumb question, as I am a comlete novice to Excel. I tried to use the search function, but was unsuccessful in finding my answer.

I have run across an Excel spreadsheet, whereby if you selected certain cells, a comment box would automatically pop up with some information. This was a form that I was filling out, and the comment boxes were basically instructions on what to put in particular cells. These comments were not inserted, as there was on little red triangle in the upper right corner of the cell. They just automatically appeared when the cell was selected.

I am trying to do the same but can't figure out how this was done. I'm guessing it is some sort of macro, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Check this.

Data....Validation....Click on the Input Message Tab...Enter your message.

HTH
Cal

Upvote 0
Thanks! Sheesh, I'm such a noob! :rolleyes: Sorry to bother you with something so simple! :LOL:

Upvote 0
No worries, lots of people are unaware of the validation features. It's great using the list option, which gives you a drop down right in the cell.

Welcome to the board.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back