average and average???

rboyd_01

I have a column that is the average of a block of information. But I need the actual average of that. I can't just average the average, becuase it doesn't give the right answer.
My origional formula is SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$N104,Raw!$D:$D)/$O104
this gives me the first average. This is in column P. I need to get the average of that column
What do I do???

Sorry E19 is a cell that has the total number of surveys. Remeber the giant formula isn't referring to the exact cells, it is just an example of another formula I did for another chart. I'm trying to do the exact same thing though... Just without making it SOOOOOO long.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
rboyd_01 said:
Sorry E19 is a cell that has the total number of surveys. Remeber the giant formula isn't referring to the exact cells, it is just an example of another formula I did for another chart. I'm trying to do the exact same thing though... Just without making it SOOOOOO long.

Does E19 house a formula that sums some range?

Upvote 0
yep E19 is the sum of E4-E17, which is the survey's returned. So in the case of the overall average of the averages, the total of the surveys returned is in O106.

Upvote 0
rboyd_01 said:
yep E19 is the sum of E4-E17, which is the survey's returned. So in the case of the overall average of the averages, the total of the surveys returned is in O106.

I believe you should opt for not overfeeding a would-be helper for info s/he did not ask for...

Given that

=(SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$D4,Raw!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$D5,Raw!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$D6,Raw!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$D7,Raw!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$D8,Raw!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$D9,Raw!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$D10,Raw!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$D11,Raw!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$D12,Raw!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$D13,Raw!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$D14,Raw!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$D15,Raw!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$D16,Raw!$F:$F)+SUMIF(Raw!$AB:$AB,$D17,Raw!$F:$F))/$E19

works I'll venture:

=SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(MATCH(Raw!$AB$2:$AB$400,$D$4:$D$17,0)),Raw!$F$2:$F$400)/SUM($E$4:$E$17)

Adjust the ranges to suit, but note that whole columns are not allowed.

Does this produce the intended result?

Upvote 0
I have to have this overall average in the chart.... My boss wants it!
I tried that formula and it doesn't give me the right answer. I compared it against the answer that I got from the other (big) formula I used. It should have come out to 77%, but that formula gave me like 5%. So not even close. This seems to happen every time I try any other formula, they give me a very low percentage... not even close to what they should. Trust me, I wish I didn't have to put in this overall average. I dont even know why it's needed... but as we all know, you do what the boss tells ya to! :)

Upvote 0
Never mind... I ended up getting that formula you gave me to work!!! YAH!!! Thank you soooo much! I just had to change one of the cell references that I overlooked!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back