Average Multiple columns and drag formula

TwinButte

Hello,

I need to average some data 7 columns at a time. so if you look at the screen shot i would need to average row 14 from AI to AO the from AP to AV etc etc. then do the same for the other rows, the problem is that I cannot use Average(AI14:AO14) and drag the formula as it only shifts over 1 column. any advice?

I removed the screen shot as it came up as text. im not sure how to upload from a URL

Last edited:

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I believe this is where OFFSET can be used...but I don't have the experience to give you a direct answer...Not sure how your data is setup, but you could copy and paste the formula every 7 columns, and hide the ones in between...or if you have a lot of data, highlight the cell with the average in it...and the following 6 cells, then drag it across...it would still end up with an average every 7 cells

...not much of a helpful answer...but it is a solution if you are desperate :(

Upvote 0
It will work thanks, just not as fast as a solution, but easier then manually copying the formula.

Thank you

Upvote 0
Without seeing your data, I don't know if this will work. But try this formula in a cell and drag it over.

=AVERAGE((INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(AI14),COLUMN(A1)*7+28,4)&":"&ADDRESS(ROW(AI14),COLUMN(A1)*7+34,4))))

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how to edit this to my need, is there a way I can easily upload the screen shot? as the data is on another sheet then where I want the output

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how to upload a screenshot, sorry.

The formula I provided should work for your data. It averages AI14:AO14. If you drag it over 1 cell, it will average AP14:AV22. Likewise, if you drag it down one cell, it will average AI15:AO15, and so on....

Just copy the formula and paste it into any cell in your worksheet. I believe it should work as is.

Upvote 0
" =AVERAGE((INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(AI14),COLUMN(A1)*7+28,4)&":"&ADDRESS(ROW(AI14),COLUMN(A1)*7+34,4)))) "

idk what kind of voodoo that is..but well done!

Upvote 0
I may have spoke to soon, the data does not always start in cell AI14,15,16 etc it starts randomly and I am using this formula to normalized production by weekly average (1st week of production, second week etc) when I adjust the =AVERAGE((INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(AI14),COLUMN(A1)*7+28,4)&":"&ADDRESS(ROW(AI14),COLUMN(A1)*7+34,4))))

for the next row down, which starts on AF15 it doesn't seem to average correctly and when the 3rd row starts at AR16 the first cell comes back as #DIV/0! what am I not changing correctly?

Upvote 0
div means you divided by a 0, which means you are averaging nothing...you probably need to add a $ somewhere

so $A$1 will aways return A1, no matter where you move the formula

if you have $A1...if you move over to A3 and use the formula, you return A3..but if you go down to B3, you will return A3.

A$1: If you move to B3, you will return B1

not quite understanding how your data is setup i can't tell you the exact reference...you just gotta work with it :D

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
againofsoul

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back