AVERAGEIF with dynamic multiple criteria on same range

rahmaddanis

Hello,
I'm trying to use AverageIF to find the average of my parts weight.
The criterias will apply to the same criteria_range but the number of criteria itself will vary depending on user input.
What is the best way to do this?

AVERAGEIFS.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Here is one option for you, just place your codes in row 1 for this function to work. Alternatively you could keep your data where it is and replace the HLOOKUPS with INDEX-MATCH, but I think it's easier to just move your codes section. :)

=AVERAGE(HLOOKUP(M3,B1:J2,2),HLOOKUP(M4,B1:J2,2),HLOOKUP(M5,B1:J2,2))

Upvote 0
If you need to allow for users to put less code criteria in then your formula calls for you could use this.

=SUM(IFERROR(HLOOKUP(M3,B1:J2,2),0),IFERROR(HLOOKUP(M4,B1:J2,2),0),IFERROR(HLOOKUP(M5,B1:J2,2),0))/COUNTA(M3:M5)

Upvote 0
Hello,
from my understanding, I need to move the "Code" row above the "Weight" in the order to allow the formula works.
Can we retain the structure to make the formula works.

Another question, below is what I'm doing with the averageif on another sheet trying to get the same result.
=AVERAGE(IF((INDIRECT("'"&D8&"'!"&"B1:B76")=F7)*(INDIRECT("'"&D8&"'!"&"C1:C76")=Code_Range),INDIRECT("'"&D8&"'!"&"F1:F76")))

Code_Range is a dynamic range. The formula seems to work when the code_range consist 1 member only but fail when the member > 1. How to make it works with member >1.

B1:B76 is a range which will be filtered by 1 criteria.
C1:C76 is a range which will be filtered by multiple criteria in Code_Range

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I don't quite understand what you're averaging since since all of your codes seem to have only one value, but maybe something like this can work for you?

Excel 2010
ABCDEFGHIJKLMN
2Weight4.24744.24724.28894.28894.09294.24724.12034.26154.2894CriteriaAvg. Weight
3CodeBLCBRCCRBFLMNTLRECREFSORSUTBLC4.2474
4BRC4.2472
5REC4.2472
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
N3=AVERAGEIF($B$3:$J$3,M3,$B$2:$J$2)

Upvote 0
Ben, I'm trying to apply multiple criteria on same range, not one by one criteria.
My real data structure do not allow me to do that without pain.

Upvote 0
(1) If by dynamic you mean that the data will increase in number but the same 8 codes will always be used then a single formula works.
The following function is the same as before but allows you to keep the data where it is, and it accounts for all 8 data types.

=SUM(IFERROR(INDEX(B2:J2,,MATCH(M3,B3:J3,0)),0),IFERROR(INDEX(B2:J2,,MATCH(M4,B3:J3,0)),0),IFERROR(INDEX(B2:J2,,MATCH(M5,B3:J3,0)),0),IFERROR(INDEX(B2:J2,,MATCH(M6,B3:J3,0)),0),IFERROR(INDEX(B2:J2,,MATCH(M7,B3:J3,0)),0),IFERROR(INDEX(B2:J2,,MATCH(M8,B3:J3,0)),0),IFERROR(INDEX(B2:J2,,MATCH(M9,B3:J3,0)),0))/COUNTA(M3:M100)

(2) If the data increases with many new codes and you don't want to be adding a "IFERROR(INDEX(B2:J2,,MATCH(M3,B3:J3,0)),0)" for each new possible code then I think a macro is the best solution.
The following is a code that will allow for any number of new codes and an increase in the data set. I took the liberty of assuming that the data continues on to the right of the existing data and so I moved your output range exactly 4 rows down.

Code:
Sub AverageFinder()
Dim CriteriaCounter As Integer
Dim RangeCounter As Integer
Dim RunningTotal As Double
Dim RunningCount As Integer
Dim i As Integer
Dim j As Integer

RunningTotal = 0
RunningCount = 0
CriteriaCounter = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountA(Range("M7:M100"))
RangeCounter = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountA(Range("B3:HH3"))

For i = 1 To CriteriaCounter
        For j = 1 To RangeCounter
            If Cells(i + 6, 13).Value = Cells(3, j + 1).Value Then
                RunningTotal = RunningTotal + Cells(2, j + 1).Value
                RunningCount = RunningCount + 1
            End If
        Next j
    Next i

Range("N7").Value = RunningTotal / RunningCount

End Sub

(3) If you are trying to achieve something else entirely I suggest you be extremely descriptive.

Upvote 0
Hello,
I decide to go for option 1, just trying to achieve VBA free workbook :)
Thank you very much for your assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJFabEngineering

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back