Bank statement categories

kbarton

Hi

I am trying to get an Excel template where I can categorise bank statement data. Say I have a bank statement with 1000 entries covering a year of data in Excel I would like to get some kind of lookup formula that would look at the bank statement and then from a list of possible categories in a lookup table then put that data in a monthly income and expenditure list so that I can see at a glance what categories the funds are coming in and going out over a year.

The lookup list needs to extract parts of the description field as the entries are varied, even form the same type of category and can be variable. I would if possible like to do this for multiple accounts so I can see the income and expenditure for personal and business accounts downloaded into Excel automatically rather than have to manually go to each entry.

Example of the data

Date
Account
Description
Amount
Balance
01/12/2015
Cash deposit ATM
02/12/2015
Debit Tesco

<tbody>
</tbody>

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Kev:)

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Pivot table is the way to go, but if the descriptions vary, you'll get multiple lines. It'd be MUCH better to get all your descriptions right.

Upvote 0
Pivot table is the way to go, but if the descriptions vary, you'll get multiple lines. It'd be MUCH better to get all your descriptions right.

Thanks Bob. I tried Pvot Tables but there are so many different descriptions for the same type of income or expenditure that it's not useful. For instance there may be 100 different cash withdrawals each from different venues all with different descriptions. I need some type of lookup tables that can list various descriptions and then something that can extract part descriptions say CashAtmLondon01102014 (the cash part). and list income and expense categories into monthly category totals.

Hope that makes sense. Many thanks.

Kev

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back