Best way to learn VBA for Excel?

abrown

Board Regular
I am a newbie to VBA? I have muddled thru it this far but want to learn it. What is the best way? A class, a book, a DVD, Private lessons?

I feel tangled b/c I know everything I want to do is possible I just don't have the means right now to do it!

Thanks-

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Hi,

For me, it was a book - John Walkenbach's "Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA".

I'd suggest a book is best. Read & re-read the book typing in lots of examples as you go.

I found it all seemed straightforward enough until it came time to write my own code ... It takes a little time to become familiar with the syntax and objects. It can be frustrating but if you're keen you'll push past that and with time will be OK. Always keep learning from other books and sites like this. Google can reveal a whole world of fabulous on line resources. Microsoft have some great on line information and Excel VBA's built-in help is good. You can buy secondhand books for a couple of dollars too, BTW.

If you have specific questions right now to do some things, you can ask on the forum.

Keep learning. Regards, Fazza

Upvote 0
As Fazza said, parctice makes perfect.

With that in mind, you will learn fastest if you try a project that matters to you. That way, you'll stick with it and pick up what you need to know along the way, using all the resource types mentioned above.

Denis

Upvote 0
What is the best way? A class, a book, a DVD, Private lessons?
That really depends on you more than anything else. Some people are very visual learners, so classes work better than books for them. Some people have no problems learning straight from books.

For me, I find that a good introductury class to familiarize myself with the fundamental concepts is good. After that, I can "build" on that by buying books and working through them. Of course, when you get stumped by a problem, this forum is a great resource.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back