Blinking Cells

JHughes

On one of my spreadsheets say cell D6 the values for this parameter need to be between 6 and 9. If the number is below 6 I have set up through conditional formatting the cell to turn red. However it still does not stand out and I was wondering if its possible to make the cell alternate between red and no fill in order make the cell appear to be flashing red.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
This is possible but requires code.

Here's one link.

Upvote 0
It's possible, but why not use data --> validation to force the entry to D6 to be between 6 and 9 in the first place?

Upvote 0
Well cell D6 has a realtime datafeed so the numbers in the cell which are supposed to by law be between 6 and 9 are out of my control. However the numbers can be anywhere between 1 and 10. What Im trying to do is if the number (pH) drops below 6 I want the cell to flash as an alarm. I used the post above and it works however theres no way to enter a function =IF(D6<6, cell flashes to give you an idea of what im looking for. Also OakTree you responded to one of my posts earlier labeled "Data Recording" in which Im trying plot the realtime data feed. Im no expert at VBA so I was wondering if you would be able to walk me through this. To refresh my original post what Im trying to do is say take the realtime data feed which updates every second in cell D6 and plot it across all hours during the day.

Upvote 0
Also OakTree you responded to one of my posts earlier labeled "Data Recording" ...

Actually, I responded to your thread called "Sheet Auto-Update" where I suggested using OnTime. Smitty (pennysaver) responded to Data Recording with a similar suggestion.

Have you tried the OnTime method? VBA help or the link to Chip Pearson's site that Smitty provided in the "Data Recording" thread should be able to walk you through using OnTime.

Per your other question about incorporating a IF(D6<6 criterion, try just incorporating that into the VBA:

If Range("D6") < 6 then 'rest of blinking code

Upvote 0
If you Just need a giant flag, I'd stick with the conditional formatting, but I'd apply it to a bunch of cells.

e.g.

I'd highlight A1:G30, go to condtional formatting,
formula is
=$D$6<6

If your whole screen turns red is the blinking still necessary?

Also, if you are going to code a flashing effect, you could also add a sound effect.

e.g. Beep

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back